A Simple and Flexible Dynamic Approach to Foreign Direct Investment Growth: Did Canada Benefit From the Free Trade Agreements with the United States?
This paper asks a simple question: Did Wilfred Laurier’s dream of free trade with the United States, when it came to fruition in 1989, also have a benefit by increasing foreign direct investment (FDI) into Canada by US multinationals? This paper introduces a dynamic framework, rather than the literature’s traditional static framework, and uses a structural break framework, rather than modelling policy changes as an intercept shift alone. Its conclusions are (a) The signing of the free trade agreements between Canada and the United States increased the responsiveness of growth in the Canadian economy on the US FDI decision by a factor of two. (b) Limited dynamics are found in the form of lagged effect of changes in the real Canadian interest rate. (c) The effect of the change in the exchange rate is static and constant over the whole 1955 to 2000 period and was unaffected by the introduction of free trade between the United States and Canada.
|Date of creation:||04 Jul 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - doc; pages: 53. In the context of US-Canada Free Trade agreement proposes two empirical innovations in the modelling of foreign investment.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://184.108.40.206|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klein, Michael W. & Rosengren, Eric, 1994.
"The real exchange rate and foreign direct investment in the United States : Relative wealth vs. relative wage effects,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(3-4), pages 373-389, May.
- Michael W. Klein & Eric S. Rosengren, 1992. "The real exchange rate and foreign direct investment in the United States: relative wealth vs. relative wage effects," Working Papers 92-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Michael W. Klein & Eric Rosengren, 1992. "The Real Exchange Rate and Foreign Direct Investment in the United States: Relative Wealth vs. Relative Wage Effects," NBER Working Papers 4192, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guy V.G. Stevens & Robert E. Lipsey, 1988.
"Interactions between domestic and foreign investment,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
329, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Stevens, Guy V. G. & Lipsey, Robert E., 1992. "Interactions between domestic and foreign investment," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 40-62, February.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Guy V.G. Stevens, 1988. "Interactions between Domestic and Foreign Investment," NBER Working Papers 2714, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susan Scott-Green & Jeremy Clegg, 1999. "The Determinants of New FDI Capital Flows into the EC: A Statistical Comparison of the USA and Japan," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(4), pages 597-616, December.
- Buckley, Peter J & Casson, Mark, 1981. "The Optimal Timing of a Foreign Direct Investment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(361), pages 75-87, March.
- Kyriacos Aristotelous & Stilianos Fountas, 1996. "An Empirical Analysis of Inward Foreign Direct Investment Flows in the EU with Emphasis on the Market Enlargement Hypothesis," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(4), pages 571-583, December.
- Guy V.G. Stevens, 1993. "Exchange rates and foreign direct investment: a note," International Finance Discussion Papers 444, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Cushman, David O, 1985. "Real Exchange Rate Risk, Expectations, and the Level of Direct Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(2), pages 297-308, May.
- Lucas, Robert Jr, 1976. "Econometric policy evaluation: A critique," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-46, January.
- Barrell, Ray & Pain, Nigel, 1999. "Trade restraints and Japanese direct investment flows," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 29-45, January.
- Buckley, Peter J. & Clegg, Jeremy & Forsans, Nicolas & Reilly, Kevin T., 2003. "Evolution of FDI in the United States in the context of trade liberalization and regionalization," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(10), pages 853-857, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpif:0407001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.