Long-term memories of developed and emerging markets: Using the scaling analysis to characterize their stage of development
The scaling properties encompass in a simple analysis many of the volatility characteristics of financial markets. That is why we use them to probe the different degree of markets development. We empirically study the scaling properties of daily Foreign Exchange rates, Stock Market indices and fixed income instruments by using the generalized Hurst approach. We show that the scaling exponents are associated with characteristics of the specific markets and can be used to differentiate markets in their stage of development. The robustness of the results is tested by both Monte-Carlo studies and a computation of the scaling in the frequency-domain.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lo, Andrew W, 1991.
"Long-Term Memory in Stock Market Prices,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1279-1313, September.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan), 1989. "Long-term memory in stock market prices," Working papers 3014-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Andrew W. Lo, 1989. "Long-term Memory in Stock Market Prices," NBER Working Papers 2984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RSSTATISTIC: RATS procedure to compute R/S Statistic (classical or Lo's modified)," Statistical Software Components RTS00191, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-708, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- M. Dacorogna & U. Mller & R. Olsen & O. Pictet, 2001. "Defining efficiency in heterogeneous markets," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 198-201.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 2015.
"The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: THE WORLD SCIENTIFIC HANDBOOK OF FUTURES MARKETS, chapter 3, pages 39-78
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- H. E. Stanley & V. Plerou, 2001. "Scaling and universality in economics: empirical results and theoretical interpretation," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(6), pages 563-567.
- Ausloos, M., 2000. "Statistical physics in foreign exchange currency and stock markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 285(1), pages 48-65.
- B. LeBaron, 2001. "Stochastic volatility as a simple generator of apparent financial power laws and long memory," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(6), pages 621-631.
- Katsumi Shimotsu & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2000. "Local Whittle Estimation in Nonstationary and Unit Root Cases," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1266, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 2003.
- Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Marc Potters & Martin Meyer, 1999. "Apparent multifractality in financial time series," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 9906347, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- Brock, W A, 1999. "Scaling in Economics: A Reader's Guide," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 409-446, September.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-858, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Muller, Ulrich A. & Dacorogna, Michel M. & Olsen, Richard B. & Pictet, Olivier V. & Schwarz, Matthias & Morgenegg, Claude, 1990. "Statistical study of foreign exchange rates, empirical evidence of a price change scaling law, and intraday analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 1189-1208, December.
- Phillips, Peter C.B., 2007.
"Unit root log periodogram regression,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 104-124, May.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1999. "Discrete Fourier Transforms of Fractional Processes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1243, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Fulvio Corsi & Gilles Zumbach & Ulrich Müller & Michel Dacorogna, 2004.
"Consistent high-precision volatility from high-frequency data,"
- Fulvio Corsi & Gilles Zumbach & Ulrich A. Muller & Michel M. Dacorogna, 2001. "Consistent High-precision Volatility from High-frequency Data," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 30(2), pages 183-204, 07.
- B. B. Mandelbrot, 2001. "Stochastic volatility, power laws and long memory," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(6), pages 558-559.
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1992. "Maximum likelihood estimation of stationary univariate fractionally integrated time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 165-188.
- T. Lux, 2001. "Turbulence in financial markets: the surprising explanatory power of simple cascade models," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(6), pages 632-640.
- J.-P. Bouchaud & M. Potters & M. Meyer, 2000. "Apparent multifractality in financial time series," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 13(3), pages 595-599, 02.
- Gençay, Ramazan & Selçuk, Faruk & Whitcher, Brandon, 2001. "Scaling properties of foreign exchange volatility," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 289(1), pages 249-266.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpem:0503004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.