Using the Scaling Analysis to Characterize Financial Markets
We empirically analyze the scaling properties of daily Foreign Exchange rates, Stock Market indices and Bond futures across different financial markets. We study the scaling behaviour of the time series by using a generalized Hurst exponent approach. We verify the robustness of this approach and we compare the results with the scaling properties in the frequency-domain. We find evidence of deviations from the pure Brownian motion behavior. We show that these deviations are associated with characteristics of the specific markets and they can be, therefore, used to distinguish the different degrees of development of the markets.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1992. "Maximum likelihood estimation of stationary univariate fractionally integrated time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 165-188.
- Weron, Rafal & Przybyłowicz, Beata, 2000.
"Hurst analysis of electricity price dynamics,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 283(3), pages 462-468.
- Rafal Weron & Beata Przybylowicz, 2000. "Hurst analysis of electricity price dynamics," HSC Research Reports HSC/00/01, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Lo, Andrew W, 1991. "Long-Term Memory in Stock Market Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1279-1313, September.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan), 1989. "Long-term memory in stock market prices," Working papers 3014-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Andrew W. Lo, 1989. "Long-term Memory in Stock Market Prices," NBER Working Papers 2984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Muller, Ulrich A. & Dacorogna, Michel M. & Olsen, Richard B. & Pictet, Olivier V. & Schwarz, Matthias & Morgenegg, Claude, 1990. "Statistical study of foreign exchange rates, empirical evidence of a price change scaling law, and intraday analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 1189-1208, December.
- Fulvio Corsi & Gilles Zumbach & Ulrich A. Muller & Michel M. Dacorogna, 2001. "Consistent High-precision Volatility from High-frequency Data," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 30(2), pages 183-204, 07.
- Fulvio Corsi & Gilles Zumbach & Ulrich Müller & Michel Dacorogna, 2004. "Consistent high-precision volatility from high-frequency data," Finance 0407005, EconWPA.
- Grau-Carles, Pilar, 2000. "Empirical evidence of long-range correlations in stock returns," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 287(3), pages 396-404.
- H. E. Stanley & V. Plerou, 2001. "Scaling and universality in economics: empirical results and theoretical interpretation," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(6), pages 563-567.
- B. B. Mandelbrot, 2001. "Stochastic volatility, power laws and long memory," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(6), pages 558-559.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 2015. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: THE WORLD SCIENTIFIC HANDBOOK OF FUTURES MARKETS, chapter 3, pages 39-78 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394-394.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1967. "The Variation of Some Other Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40, pages 393-393.
- J.-P. Bouchaud & M. Potters & M. Meyer, 2000. "Apparent multifractality in financial time series," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 13(3), pages 595-599, 02.
- Eugene F. Fama, 1963. "Mandelbrot and the Stable Paretian Hypothesis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 420-420.
- Gençay, Ramazan & Dacorogna, Michel & Muller, Ulrich A. & Pictet, Olivier & Olsen, Richard, 2001. "An Introduction to High-Frequency Finance," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 1, number 9780122796715.
- Stanley, H.E & Buldyrev, S.V & Goldberger, A.L & Havlin, S & Peng, C.-K & Simons, M, 1999. "Scaling features of noncoding DNA," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 273(1), pages 1-18.
- M. Ausloos & K. Ivanova, 2001. "Correlations Between Reconstructed EUR Exchange Rates vs. CHF, DKK, GBP, JPY and USD," Papers cond-mat/0104260, arXiv.org.
- Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Marc Potters & Martin Meyer, 1999. "Apparent multifractality in financial time series," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 9906347, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- Gençay, Ramazan & Selçuk, Faruk & Whitcher, Brandon, 2001. "Scaling properties of foreign exchange volatility," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 289(1), pages 249-266.
- Brock, W A, 1999. "Scaling in Economics: A Reader's Guide," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 409-446, September.
- T. Lux, 2001. "Turbulence in financial markets: the surprising explanatory power of simple cascade models," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(6), pages 632-640.
- Patrick A. Groenendijk & André Lucas & Casper G. de Vries, 1998. "A Hybrid Joint Moment Ratio Test for Financial Time Series," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 98-104/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Vandewalle, N. & Ausloos, M., 1997. "Coherent and random sequences in financial fluctuations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 246(3), pages 454-459.
- B. LeBaron, 2001. "Stochastic volatility as a simple generator of apparent financial power laws and long memory," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(6), pages 621-631.
- M. Dacorogna & U. Mller & R. Olsen & O. Pictet, 2001. "Defining efficiency in heterogeneous markets," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 198-201.
- Ausloos, M., 2000. "Statistical physics in foreign exchange currency and stock markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 285(1), pages 48-65. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:cond-mat/0302434. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.