Consumer Promotion And Purchase Timing: The Case Of Cheese
The dynamics of cheese purchases is analyzed by estimating a series of econometric models of duration based on a 170 week household panel. Besides purchase quantity and price data, information with respect to coupon use and household demographic characteristics are used in a variety of models which build upon each other in terms of assumed distribution of interpurchase time, effect of previous purchases, role of demographic characteristics and effect of unobserved interpurchase time heterogeneity. Likelihood ratio tests clearly reject the null hypothesis that coupon use has no impact on cheese purchase timing.
|Date of creation:||May 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of Wisconsin, Dept. of Agricultural and Applied Economics, 427 Lorch Street, Madison, WI 53706|
Web page: http://www.aae.wisc.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kristiaan Helsen & David C. Schmittlein, 1993. "Analyzing Duration Times in Marketing: Evidence for the Effectiveness of Hazard Rate Models," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(4), pages 395-414.
- Dipak C. Jain & Naufel J. Vilcassim, 1991. "Investigating Household Purchase Timing Decisions: A Conditional Hazard Function Approach," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(1), pages 1-23.
- Scott A. Neslin & Caroline Henderson & John Quelch, 1985. "Consumer Promotions and the Acceleration of Product Purchases," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(2), pages 147-165.
- Kaiser, Harry M. & Roberte, J. Carlos, 1995. "Impact ofGeneric Fluid Milk Advertising on Whole, Lowfat, and Skim Milk Demand," Research Bulletins 122996, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Heien, Dale & Wessells, Cathy Roheim, 1990. "Demand Systems Estimation with Microdata: A Censored Regression Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(3), pages 365-71, July.
- McDonald, James B & Butler, Richard J, 1987. "Some Generalized Mixture Distributions with an Application to Unemployment Duration," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(2), pages 232-40, May.
- Ronald W. Ward & William F. McDonald, 1986. "Effectiveness of generic milk advertising: A ten region study," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(1), pages 77-89.
- Butler, Richard J & Worrall, John D, 1991. "Gamma Duration Models with Heterogeneity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 161-66, February.
- Ronald B. Larson, 1992. "Marketing agricultural products with coupons," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(5), pages 485-492.
- Blaylock, James R. & Smallwood, David M., 1983. "Effects of Household Socioeconomic Features on Dairy Purchases," Technical Bulletins 157654, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:wiaesp:396. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.