Promotions and the pattern of grocery shopping time
The histograms of interpurchase times for frequently purchased packaged goods have consistently shown pronounced seven-day cycles. Evidence supports that the weekly spike phenomenon is the result of consumers' regular shopping trip schedules. We explore the implications of this peculiar regularity on the issue of consumer purchase timing acceleration. Data for five product categories are examined. Promotions are found to have little effect in accelerating purchase timing. In contrast, conventional interpurchase time models are shown to overstate the effect of promotions.
Volume (Year): 28 (2001)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CJAS20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CJAS20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fred S. Zufryden, 1978. "An Empirical Evaluation of a Composite Heterogeneous Model of Brand Choice and Purchase Timing Behavior," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(7), pages 761-773, March.
- Dipak C. Jain & Naufel J. Vilcassim, 1991. "Investigating Household Purchase Timing Decisions: A Conditional Hazard Function Approach," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(1), pages 1-23.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-679, June.
- Scott A. Neslin & Caroline Henderson & John Quelch, 1985. "Consumer Promotions and the Acceleration of Product Purchases," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(2), pages 147-165.
- Kristiaan Helsen & David C. Schmittlein, 1993. "Analyzing Duration Times in Marketing: Evidence for the Effectiveness of Hazard Rate Models," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(4), pages 395-414.
- Jeongwen Chiang, 1995. "Competing Coupon Promotions and Category Sales," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(1), pages 105-122.
- Brian Gould, 1997. "Consumer promotion and purchase timing: the case of cheese," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(4), pages 445-457.
- Donald G. Morrison & David C. Schmittlein, 1981. "Predicting Future Random Events Based on Past Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(9), pages 1006-1023, September.
- Gonul, F. & Srinivasan, K., 1993. "Consumer Purchase Behavior in a frequently Bought Product Category: Estimation Issues and Managerial Insights from a Hazard Function Model with Heterogeneity," University of Chicago - Economics Research Center 93-1, Chicago - Economics Research Center.