The controversy over employment policy: Low labor costs and openness, or demand policy? A sectoral analysis for Turkey
The purpose of this paper is to test the effects of labor cost, openness, and demand side variables on employment for the case of Turkey using the panel data of private manufacturing industry at three digit level for 25 sectors for the period of 1973-2001. We use a seemingly unrelated regression (SUR) model, which allows for cross-sectoral heterogeneity. The estimation results show that higher growth is more effective in stimulating employment compared to lower labor costs. The reliance of Turkey and many developing countries on labor market flexibility and openness as the unique tools of employment policy reflects a pro-capital incomes policy bias rather than a necessity. The results confirm the Keynesian emphasis on demand-side policies to fight against unemployment.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.wu.ac.at/economics/en
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erin Yeldan & Kivilcim Metin-…zcan & Ebru Voyvoda, 1999.
"Dynamics of Macroeconomic Adjustment in a Globalized Developing Economy : Growth, Accumulation and Distribution, Turkey 1969-1998,"
9905, Department of Economics, Bilkent University.
- Kivilcim Metin-Ozcan & Ebru Voyvoda & A. Erinc Yeldan, 2000. "Dynamics of Macroeconomic Adjustment in a Globalized Developing Economy: Growth, Accumulation and Distribution, Turkey 1969-1998," Working Papers 2004, Economic Research Forum, revised 02 Mar 2000.
- Ipek Ilkkaracan & Raziye Selim, 2003. "The role of unemployment in wage determination: further evidence on the wage curve from Turkey," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(14), pages 1589-1598.
- Ebru Voyvoda & A. Erinc Yeldan, 2001.
"Patterns of Productivity Growth and the Wage Cycle in Turkish Manufacturing,"
International Review of Applied Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 375-396.
- Erin Yeldan & Ebru Voyvoda, 1999. "Patterns of Productivity Growth and the Wage Cycle in Turkish Manufacturing," Working Papers 9911, Department of Economics, Bilkent University.
- Ozlem Onaran, 2002. "Measuring wage flexibility: the case of Turkey before and after structural adjustment," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(6), pages 767-781.
- Erol Taymaz & Sule Ozler, 2004. "Labor Market Policies and EU Accession: Problems and Prospects for Turkey," ERC Working Papers 0405, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Mar 2004.
- Ozlem Onaran, 2004. "Life After Crisis For Labor And Capital in the Era of Neoliberal Globalization," Working Papers geewp43, Vienna University of Economics and Business Research Group: Growth and Employment in Europe: Sustainability and Competitiveness.
- Milner, Chris & Wright, Peter, 1998. "Modelling Labour Market Adjustment to Trade Liberalisation in an Industrialising Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(447), pages 509-528, March.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Hanson, Gordon H., 1997.
"Foreign direct investment and relative wages: Evidence from Mexico's maquiladoras,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 371-393, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995. "Foreign Direct Investment and Relative Wages: Evidence from Mexico's Maquiladoras," NBER Working Papers 5122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1988. "Terms of Trade, Tariffs, and Labor Market Adjustment in Developing Countries," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 2(2), pages 165-185, May.
- Onaran, Özlem & Stockhammer, Engelbert, 2006.
"The effect of FDI and foreign trade on wages in the Central and Eastern European Countries in the post-transition era: A sectoral analysis,"
Department of Economics Working Paper Series
1450, WU Vienna University of Economics and Business.
- Özlem Onaran & Engelbert Stockhammer, 2006. "The effect of FDI and foreign trade on wages in the Central and Eastern European Countries in the post-transition era: A sectoral analysis," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp094, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Harrison, Ann & Hanson, Gordon, 1999.
"Who gains from trade reform? Some remaining puzzles,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 125-154, June.
- Ann Harrison & Gordon Hanson, 1999. "Who Gains from Trade Reform? Some Remaining Puzzles," NBER Working Papers 6915, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary Dymski & James Crotty, 2000. "Can the Global Neoliberal Regime Survive Victory in Asia? The Political Economy of the Asian Crisis," Published Studies ps5, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Özlem Onaran & Engelbert Stockhammer, 2002. "Two Different Export-Oriented Growth Strategies under a Wage-led Accumulation Regime: à la Turca and à la South Korea," Working Papers wp38, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Robert A. Lawson & Edward Bierhanzl, 2004. "Labor Market Flexibility: An Index Approach to Cross-Country Comparisons," Journal of Labor Research, Transaction Publishers, vol. 25(1), pages 117-126, January.
- Guzin Erlat, 2000. "Measuring the impact of trade flows on employment in the Turkish manufacturing industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(9), pages 1169-1180.