Multi-Regional Agent-Based Modeling of Household and Firm Location Choices with Endogenous Transport Costs
The paper describes a spatial economic agent-based model (ABM), consistent with the principles of new economic geography (NEG), which allows the discrete-time evolutionary simulation of complex interactions of household and firm location choices. In contrast with the current ABM approaches, it considers a multi-regional (multi-urban) setting to enable a more realistic representation of decisions related to commuting, migration and household and employment location. The model allows simulating spatially differentiated, multi-commodity markets for land and labor in a system of cities and the behavior of profit-maximizing firms with multi-regional asset investment decisions, incorporating endogenous intra- and inter-urban transport costs with congestion effects. It also accounts for the impact of industrial and urban agglomeration forces on location choices and the formation of urban development patterns. Other features include the representation of the actions of central and local government agents to address issues of territorial development, efficiency and equity. The simulation set-up and evolutionary analysis of the spatial ABM are presented and several implications are discussed with regard to the possible outcomes of a set of policy interventions.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Markose, Sheri & Alentorn, Amadeo & Koesrindartoto, Deddy & Allen, Peter & Blythe, Phil & Grosso, Sergio, 2007.
"A smart market for passenger road transport (SMPRT) congestion: An application of computational mechanism design,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 2001-2032, June.
- Sheri Markose & Amadeo Alentorn & Deddy Koesrindartoto & Peter Allen & Phil Blythe & Sergio Grosso, 2007. "A smart market for passenger road transport (SMPRT) congestion: an application of computational mechanism design," Economics Discussion Papers 630, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Roorda, Matthew J. & Cavalcante, Rinaldo & McCabe, Stephanie & Kwan, Helen, 2010. "A conceptual framework for agent-based modelling of logistics services," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 18-31, January.
- Abdel-Rahman, Hesham M. & Anas, Alex, 2004.
"Theories of systems of cities,"
Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics,
in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 52, pages 2293-2339
- Liedtke, Gernot, 2009. "Principles of micro-behavior commodity transport modeling," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(5), pages 795-809, September.
- Oswald T J Devisch & Harry J P Timmermans & Theo A Arentze & Aloys W J Borgers, 2009. "An agent-based model of residential choice dynamics in nonstationary housing markets," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 41(8), pages 1997-2013, August.
- Eric J Heikkila & Yiming Wang, 2009. "Fujita and Ogawa revisited: an agent-based modeling approach," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 36(4), pages 741-756, July.
- Wei Fan & Frederick Treyz & George Treyz, 2000. "An Evolutionary New Economic Geography Model," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(4), pages 671-695.
- Luis E Fernandez & Daniel G Brown & Robert W Marans & Joan I Nassauer, 2005. "Characterizing location preferences in an exurban population: implications for agent-based modeling," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 32(6), pages 799-820, November.
- Takama, Takeshi & Preston, John, 2008. "Forecasting the effects of road user charge by stochastic agent-based modelling," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 738-749, May.
- Tabuchi, Takatoshi & Thisse, Jacques-François & Zeng, Dao-Zhi, 2002. "On the Number and Size of Cities," CEPR Discussion Papers 3386, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anas, Alex & Xu, Rong, 1999. "Congestion, Land Use, and Job Dispersion: A General Equilibrium Model," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 451-473, May.
- Mun, Se-il, 1997. "Transport Network and System of Cities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 205-221, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa10p479. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.