Evaluating the optimality of Spanish industry (1980-1993)
This paper tests whether Spanish industry adjusted the amount of inputs and output to those considered optimal given their prices in each time period. With this aim, we use the short- and long-run equilibrium models given by duality theory, and we apply the optimality tests derived from them for the case of Spanish manufactures from 1980 to 1993. The results obtained point to a disequilibrium in manufactures' behaviour, although it has been vanishing through the period under consideration.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morrison, Catherine J, 1992.
"Markups in U.S. and Japanese Manufacturing: A Short-Run Econometric Analysis,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 10(1), pages 51-63, January.
- Catherine J. Morrison, 1988. "Markups in U.S. and Japanese Manufacturing: A Short Run Econometric Analysis," NBER Working Papers 2799, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caballero, Ricardo J. & Lyons, Richard K., 1992. "External effects in U.S. procyclical productivity," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 209-225, April.
- Caballero, R.J. & Lyons, R.K., 1991. "External Effects in U.S. Procyclical Productivity," Papers 91-19, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Lourdes Moreno & Diego Rodríguez, 2004. "Domestic and Foreign Price/Marginal-cost Margins: an Application to Spanish Manufacturing Firms," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 60-80, 02.
- Lourdes Moreno Martín & Diego Rodríguez Rodríguez, 2000. "Domestic and foreign price-marginal cost margins: An application to Spanish manufacturing firms," Working Papers 00-03, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Catherine J. Morrison & Donald Siegel, 1997. "External Capital Factors And Increasing Returns In U.S. Manufacturing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 647-654, November.
- Conrad, Klaus & Unger, Ralph, 1987. "Ex post tests for short-and long-run optimization," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 339-358, November.
- Pindyck, Robert S & Rotemberg, Julio J, 1983. "Dynamic Factor Demands and the Effects of Energy Price Shocks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 1066-1079, December.
- Caballero, Ricardo J. & Lyons, Richard K., 1990. "Internal versus external economies in European industry," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 805-826, June.
- Catherine J. Morrison & Donald Siegel, 1996. "Scale and Aggregation Effects in U.S. Manufacturing: Evidence on Returns to Capital," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(s1), pages 570-575, April.
- Donald S. Siegel & Catherine J. Morrison Paul, 1999. "Scale Economies and Industry Agglomeration Externalities: A Dynamic Cost Function Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(1), pages 272-290, March.
- Elena Huergo, 1998. "Identificación del poder de mercado: estimaciones para la industria española," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 22(1), pages 69-91, January.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988. "The Relation between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 921-947, October.
- Robert E. Hall, 1986. "The Relation Between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry," NBER Working Papers 1785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francisco Javier Suáres Bernaldo de Quirós, 1992. "Economías de escala, poder de mercado y externalidades: medición de las fuentes del crecimiento español," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 16(3), pages 411-441, September.
- Chambers,Robert G., 1988. "Applied Production Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521314275.
- Moreno, Rosina & Lopez-Bazo, Enrique & Artis, Manuel, 2002. "Public infrastructure and the performance of manufacturing industries: short- and long-run effects," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 97-121, January.
- Kulatilaka, Nalin, 1985. "Tests on the validity of static equilibrium models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 253-268, May.
- Morrison, Catherine J, 1992. "Unraveling the Productivity Growth Slowdown in the United States, Canada and Japan: The Effects of Subequilibrium, Scale Economies and Markups," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(3), pages 381-393, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa02p353. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.