Chile's experience with stabilization, revisited
This paper evaluates Chile's stabilization policies since the early 1970s. Four episodes are examined: (a) the high inflation at the beginning of the military regime when inflation was close to 1000 percent per year; (b) the orthodox stabilization program of 1975; (c) the exchange rate-based stabilization of February 1978-June 1982; and (d) the post-1984 adjustment period with a large real devaluation and low inflation. Finally an overall evaluation of the post-1973 experience with stabilization is provided.
|Date of creation:||31 Jan 1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Solimano, Andres, 1986. "Contractionary devaluation in the southern cone : The case of Chile," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 135-151, September.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1985.
"Are Devaluations Contractionary?,"
NBER Working Papers
1676, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1988. "Real Balances, the Exchange Rate, and Indexation: Real Variables in Disinflation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(1), pages 27-49, February.
- Stanley Fischer, 1984. "Real Balances, the Exchange Rate and Indexation: Real Variables in Disinflation," NBER Working Papers 1497, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Corbo, Vittorio, 1982. "Monetary policy with an overrestricted demand for money equation : Chile in the 60's," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 119-126, February.
- International Monetary Fund, 1990. "Capital Mobility in Developing Countries; M386Some Empirical Tests," IMF Working Papers 90/117, International Monetary Fund.
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
- Corbo, Vittorio & de Melo, Jaime, 1987. "Lessons from the Southern Cone Policy Reforms," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 2(2), pages 111-42, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:579. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.