Effects of the Exchange Rate on Output and Price Level: Evidence from the Pakistani Economy
The question of whether devaluation of the currency affects output positively or negatively has received considerable attention both from academic and empirical researchers. A number of empirical studies have supported the contractionary devaluation hypothesis using pooled time series data from a large number of heterogeneous countries. Since the effects of devaluation on output and the price level may not be uniform across all developing countries, the empirical results can not be generalized for all countries. In addition, almost none of the empirical studies used to test the contractionary devaluation hypothesis separate the effects of devaluation from import prices. Thus, a country specific study is needed that separate the effects of devaluation from the import price effects. This paper uses a VEC model to analyze the effects of the exchange rate on output and the price level in Pakistan for the period 1975-2005. Our analysis shows that devaluation has a positive effect on output but a negative effect on the price level. Thus, the evidence presented in this paper does not support the contractionary devaluation hypothesis for the Pakistani economy.
Volume (Year): 12 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (Jan-Jun)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (92-42) 6560939
Web page: http://www.lahoreschoolofeconomics.edu.pk/EconomicsJournal/LJEIntro.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997.
"Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998. "Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur & Radetzki, Marian, 1991. "Does Devaluation Make Sense in the Least Developed Countries?," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40(1), pages 1-25, October.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1985.
"Are Devaluations Contractionary?,"
NBER Working Papers
1676, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur & Risager, Ole, 1984. "Does devaluation improve the current account?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 37-64, June.
- Sweder van Wijnbergen, 1986.
"Exchange Rate Management and Stabilization Policies in Developing Countries,"
in: Economic Adjustment and Exchange Rates in Developing Countries, pages 17-42
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1986. "Exchange rate management and stabilization policies in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 227-247, October.
- Knight, J B, 1976. "Devaluation and Income Distribution in Less-Developed Economies," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(2), pages 208-27, July.
- Krugman, Paul & Taylor, Lance, 1978.
"Contractionary effects of devaluation,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 445-456, August.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Hyun-Jae Rhee, 1997. "Response of Domestic Production to Depreciation in Korea: an Application of Johansen's Conintegration Methodology," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 103-112.
- M. Aynul Hasan & Ashfaque H. Khan, 1994. "Impact of Devaluation on Pakistan's External Trade: An Econometric Approach," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 33(4), pages 1205-1215.
- Upadhyaya, Kamal P., 1999. "Currency devaluation, aggregate output, and the long run: an empirical study," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 197-202, August.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Souphala Chomsisengphet & Magda Kandil, 2002. "Are devaluations contractionary in Asia?," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 25(1), pages 69-82, January.
- Thorvaldur Gylfason & Michael Schmid, 1983. "Does Devaluation Cause Stagflation?," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 16(4), pages 641-54, November.
- Tony Killick & Moazzam Malik & Marcus Manuel, 1992. "What Can We Know About the Effects of IMF Programmes?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(5), pages 575-598, 09.
- Solimano, Andres, 1986. "Contractionary devaluation in the southern cone : The case of Chile," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 135-151, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lje:journl:v:12:y:2007:i:1:p:49-77. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shahid Salahuddin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.