Does Devaluation work for India?
Whether currency devaluation helps economic growth is an empirically open question. Despite its policy-implications, the issue has received relatively scant econometric attention. Since the results are specific to the sample, model, and techniques employed, country-specific studies have received renewed interest. Coexistence of successive currency devaluations and a booming economy makes India a unique case-study. Using latest data and the bounds-testing approach to cointegration and error-correction modeling, this paper finds that rupee's devaluation is expansionary in India.
Volume (Year): 30 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morgan, Theodore & Davis, Albert, 1982. "The Concomitants of Exchange-Rate Depreciation: Less Developed Countries, 1971-1973," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(1), pages 101-29, October.
- P. Krugman & L. Taylor, 1976.
"Contractionary Effects of Devaluations,"
191, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Edward, Sebastian, 1986.
"Are Devaluations Contractionary?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 68(3), pages 501-08, August.
- Donal J. Donovan, 1981. "Real Responses Associated with Exchange Rate Action in Selected Upper Credit Tranche Stabilization Programs (RÃ©sultats liÃ©s Ã une modification du taux de change dans le cadre de programmes de stabil," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(4), pages 698-727, December.
- Barbone, Luca & Rivera-Batiz, Francisco, 1987. "Foreign capital and the contractionary impact of currency devaluation, with an application to Jamaica," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-15, June.
- Upadhyaya, Kamal P., 1999. "Currency devaluation, aggregate output, and the long run: an empirical study," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 197-202, August.
- Kim, Yoonbai & Ying, Yung-Hsiang, 2007. "An empirical assessment of currency devaluation in East Asian countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 265-283, March.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Miteza, Ilir, 2002. "Do nominal devaluations lead to real devaluations in LDCs?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 385-391, February.
- Roland Vaubel, 1976.
"Real exchange-rate changes in the European community: The empirical evidence and its implications for European currency unification,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 112(3), pages 429-470, September.
- Vaubel, Roland, 1976. "Real exchange-rate changes in the European Community: The empirical evidence and its implications for European currency unification," Kiel Working Papers 39, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Vaubel, Roland, 1976. "Real exchange-rate changes in the European Community: The empirical evidence and its implications for European currency unification," Kiel Working Papers 39, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1986.
"Exchange rate management and stabilization policies in developing countries,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 227-247, October.
- Sweder van Wijnbergen, 1986. "Exchange Rate Management and Stabilization Policies in Developing Countries," NBER Chapters, in: Economic Adjustment and Exchange Rates in Developing Countries, pages 17-42 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Solimano, Andres, 1986. "Contractionary devaluation in the southern cone : The case of Chile," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 135-151, September.
- Taye, Haile Kebret, 1999. "The Impact of Devaluation on Macroeconomic Performance: The Case of Ethiopia," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 481-496, July.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Seema Narayan, 2007. "Is devaluation expansionary or contractionary? Empirical evidence from Fiji," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(20), pages 2589-2598.
- Das, Sandwip Kumar, 1997. "India's rupee devaluation, trade balance and unemployment: A producer theory approach," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 51-66.
- Thorvaldur Gylfason & Michael Schmid, 1983. "Does Devaluation Cause Stagflation?," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 16(4), pages 641-54, November.
- Rose, Andrew K. & Yellen, Janet L., 1989. "Is there a J-curve?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 53-68, July.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Souphala Chomsisengphet & Magda Kandil, 2002. "Are devaluations contractionary in Asia?," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 25(1), pages 69-82, January.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Niroomand, Farhang, 1998. "Long-run price elasticities and the Marshall-Lerner condition revisited," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 101-109, October.
- Ramkishen S. Rajan & Chung-Hua Shen, 2002. "Are crisis-induced devaluations contractionary?," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 2002-06, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Sheehey, Edmund J., 1986. "Unanticipated inflation, devaluation and output in Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 665-671, May.
- Swarnjit Arora & Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Gour Goswami, 2003. "Bilateral J-curve between India and her trading partners," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(9), pages 1037-1041.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-09-00392. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.