Taxation of financial intermediation : measurement principles and application to five African countries
The purpose of this study is to set out a practical method for analyzing how inflation, interest ceilings, reserve requirements and like impositions have had tax-like effects and how they can be compared with explicit taxes. Using this method estimates of the varying magnitudes of the total taxation of financial intermediation in five African economies during recent years are computed. The paper explores the macroeconomic and fiscal dynamics which have contributed to the use of heavy taxation on the financial sector in certain countries and for certain periods. The likely impact of these taxes on efficiency is also examined.
|Date of creation:||31 May 1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1989.
"Dynamic Seigniorage Theory: An Exploration,"
NBER Working Papers
2869, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1991. "Dynamic Seigniorage Theory: An Exploration," CEPR Discussion Papers 519, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1997. "Dynamic Seigniorage Theory: An Exploration," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt712610vq, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld and ., 1997. "Dynamic Seigniorage Theory: An Exploration," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C97-085, University of California at Berkeley.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1985. "What's different about banks?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 29-39, January.
- Englund, Peter, 1989. "Monetary Policy and Bank Regulations in an Economy with Financial Innovations," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 56(224), pages 459-72, November.
- Pinto, Brian, 1988. "Black market premia, exchange rate unification, and inflation in sub-Saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 37, The World Bank.
- Brock, Philip L, 1989. "Reserve Requirements and the Inflation Tax," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 21(1), pages 106-21, February.
- Honohan, Patrick, 1992.
"Price and monetary convergence in currency unions: The franc and rand zones,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 397-410, August.
- Honohan, Patrick, 1990. "Price and monetary convergence in currency unions : the Franc and Rand zones," Policy Research Working Paper Series 390, The World Bank.
- Douglas W. Diamond, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414.
- Kiguel, Miguel A. & Neumeyer, Pablo Andres, 1989. "Inflation and seigniorage in Argentina," Policy Research Working Paper Series 289, The World Bank.
- Easterly, William R., 1989. "Fiscal adjustment and deficit financing during the debt crisis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 138, The World Bank.
- Peter A. Diamond & J. A. Mirrlees, 1968. "Optimal Taxation and Public Production," Working papers 22, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Englund, Peter & Svensson, Lars E O, 1988. "Money and Banking in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(4), pages 681-705, November.
- Honohan, Patrick, 1990. "Monetary cooperation in the CFA zone," Policy Research Working Paper Series 389, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:421. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.