Private pension systems : cross-country investment performance
This study investigates the performance of private pensions systems across countries a topic which has yet to be adequately addressed in the literature. Specifically, this study examines the relationship between pension fund performance (as captured by gross real rates of return and the three year standard deviation of those returns) and the structure of a country's private pension industry and the design of its pension schemes. A database covering 27 countries over the period 1990-2007 was created for this research. The study's key findings include: (i) higher returns are associated with size (systems with more assets under management tend to generate higher returns), type (occupational schemes tend to generate higher returns than do personal pension schemes and closed schemes tend to generate higher returns than do open schemes), and number (systems with multiple funds tend to generate higher returns than those with a single fund); and (ii) lower volatility in pension system returns is associated with older systems, voluntary (rather than mandatory) systems, systems with restrictions on foreign investing, and systems with minimum return guarantees.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/spl
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eduardo Walker & Fernando Lefort, 2002.
"Pension Reform And Capital Markets: Are There Any (Hard) Links?,"
Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 5(2), pages 77-149.
- Walker, Eduardo & Lefort, Fernando, 2002. "Pension reform and capital markets : are there any (hard) links?," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 24082, The World Bank.
- Pereda Javier, 2007. "Estimación de la Frontera Eficiente para las AFP en el Perú y el Impacto de los Límites de Inversión: 1995-2004," Working Papers 2007-009, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Jorge A. Chan-Lau, 2004. "Pension Funds and Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 04/181, International Monetary Fund.
- Djankov, Simeon & La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei, 2008.
"The law and economics of self-dealing,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 430-465, June.
- Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Djankov, Simeon & La Porta, Rafael & Shleifer, Andrei, 2008. "The Law and Economics of Self-dealing," Scholarly Articles 2907526, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Simeon Djankov & Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2005. "The Law and Economics of Self-Dealing," NBER Working Papers 11883, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary Burtless, 2007. "International Investment for Retirement Savers: Historical Evidence on Risk and Returns," Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College wp2007-05, Center for Retirement Research, revised Feb 2007.
- Jan Kakes, 2006. "Financial behaviour of Dutch pension funds: a disaggregated approach," DNB Working Papers 108, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Djankov, Simeon & McLiesh, Caralee & Shleifer, Andrei, 2007.
"Private credit in 129 countries,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 299-329, May.
- Kemna, A.G.Z. & Ponds, E.H.M. & Steenbeek, O.W., 2012. "Pension funds in The Netherlands," Other publications TiSEM 1954d9b4-2e2d-4950-a770-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Solange Berstein & Rómulo Chumacero, 2005. "Cuantificación de los Costos de los Limites de Inversión para los Fondos de Pensiones Chilenos," Working Papers 3, Superintendencia de Pensiones, revised Apr 2005.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:hdnspu:68937. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Raiden C. Dillard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.