The Links between Poverty and the Environment in Malawi
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Place, Frank & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2001. "Population, Tenure, and Natural Resource Management: The Case of Customary Land Area in Malawi," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 13-32, January.
- Coxhead, Ian & Jayasuriya, Sisira, 2004. "Development strategy and trade liberalization: implications for poverty and environment in the Philippines," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(5), pages 613-644, October.
- Lã“Pez, Ramã“N, 2000. "Trade reform and environmental externalities in general equilibrium: analysis for an archetype poor tropical country," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(4), pages 377-404, October.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Daniel Ayalew Ali & Stefan Dercon & Madhur Gautam, 2011.
"Property rights in a very poor country: tenure insecurity and investment in Ethiopia,"
Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 42(1), pages 75-86, January.
- Stefan Dercon & Daniel Ayalew & The World Bank & Madhur Gautam & The World Bank, 2005. "Property Rights in a Very Poor Country: Tenure Insecurity and Investment in Ethiopia," Economics Series Working Papers GPRG-WPS-021, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ali, Daniel Ayalew & Dercon, Stefan & Gautam, Madhur, 2007. "Property rights in a very poor country : tenure insecurity and investment in Ethiopia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4363, The World Bank.
- Kelly Sharp & Hisham Zerriffi & Philippe Billon, 2020. "Land scarcity, resettlement and food security: Assessing the effect of voluntary resettlement on diet quality in Malawi," Food Security: The Science, Sociology and Economics of Food Production and Access to Food, Springer;The International Society for Plant Pathology, vol. 12(1), pages 191-205, February.
- Pauline Peters & Daimon Kambewa, 2007. "Whose Security? Deepening Social Conflict over ‘Customary’ Land in the Shadow of Land Tenure Reform in Malawi," CID Working Papers 142, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Shunji Oniki & Melaku Berhe & Teklay Negash, 2020. "Role of Social Norms in Natural Resource Management: The Case of the Communal Land Distribution Program in Northern Ethiopia," Land, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 9(2), pages 1-17, January.
- Holden, Stein T. & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2014.
"The roles of land tenure reforms and land markets in the context of population growth and land use intensification in Africa,"
Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 88-97.
- Holden, Stein & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2013. "The Roles of Land Tenure Reforms and Land Markets in the Context of Population Growth and Land Use Intensification in Africa," CLTS Working Papers 15/13, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Centre for Land Tenure Studies, revised 10 Oct 2019.
- Hansen, J.D. & Luckert, M.K. & Minae, S. & Place, F., 2005. "Tree planting under customary tenure systems in malawi: impacts of marriage and inheritance patterns," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 99-118, April.
- Lovo, Stefania, 2016.
"Tenure Insecurity and Investment in Soil Conservation. Evidence from Malawi,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 78(C), pages 219-229.
- Stefania Lovo, 2013. "Tenure insecurity and investment in soil conservation. Evidence from Malawi," GRI Working Papers 114, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Lovo, Stefania, 2016. "Tenure insecurity and investment in soil conservation. Evidence from Malawi," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 64112, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Wadjamsse Djezou, 2016. "Land Tenure Security and Deforestation: A case Study of Forest land conversion to Perennial crops in CÃ´te d'Ivoire," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 36(1), pages 173-186.
- Corsi, Stefano & Marchisio, Laura Viviana & Orsi, Luigi, 2017. "Connecting smallholder farmers to local markets: Drivers of collective action, land tenure and food security in East Chad," Land Use Policy, Elsevier, vol. 68(C), pages 39-47.
- Gamma Galudra & Meine Noordwijk & Putra Agung & Suyanto Suyanto & Ujjwal Pradhan, 2014. "Migrants, land markets and carbon emissions in Jambi, Indonesia: Land tenure change and the prospect of emission reduction," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 19(6), pages 715-731, August.
- Wurtenberger, Laura & Koellner, Thomas & Binder, Claudia R., 2006. "Virtual land use and agricultural trade: Estimating environmental and socio-economic impacts," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 679-697, June.
- Bardhan, Pranab, 2006. "Globalization and rural poverty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1393-1404, August.
- Yoshito Takasaki & Oliver T. Coomes & Christian Abizaid & StÃ©phanie Brisson, 2014.
"An Efficient Nonmarket Institution under Imperfect Markets: Labor Sharing for Tropical Forest Clearing,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 96(3), pages 711-732.
- Yoshito Takasaki & Oliver T. Coomes & Christian Abizaid & St?phanie Brisson, 2011. "An efficient nonmarket institution under imperfect markets: Labor sharing for tropical forest clearing," Tsukuba Economics Working Papers 2011-007, Economics, Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Tsukuba, revised Jan 2012.
- Toma, Luiza & Ashworth, Cheryl J. & Stott, Alistair W., 2008. "A Partial Equilibrium Model Of The Linkages Between Animal Welfare, Trade And The Environment In Scotland," 109th Seminar, November 20-21, 2008, Viterbo, Italy 44825, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Toman, Michael, 2003.
"The Roles of the Environment and Natural Resources in Economic Growth Analysis,"
10510, Resources for the Future.
- Toman, Michael, 2003. "The Roles of the Environment and Natural Resources in Economic Growth Analysis," Discussion Papers dp-02-71, Resources For the Future.
- Unai Pascual & Edward B. Barbier, 2007. "On Price Liberalization, Poverty, and Shifting Cultivation: An Example from Mexico," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 83(2), pages 192-216.
- Brian R. Copeland & M. Scott Taylor, 2009. "Trade, Tragedy, and the Commons," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(3), pages 725-749, June.
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing, 2006.
"Tenure security and land-related investment: Evidence from Ethiopia,"
European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(5), pages 1245-1277, July.
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing & Adenew, Berhanu & Gebre-Selassie, Samuel & Nega, Berhanu, 2003. "Tenure security and land-related investment - evidence from Ethiopia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2991, The World Bank.
- Kalifi Ferretti-Gallon and Jonah Busch, 2014. "What Drives Deforestation and What Stops It? A Meta-Analysis of Spatially Explicit Econometric Studies - Working Paper 361," Working Papers 361, Center for Global Development.
- Gregmar Galinato & Suzette Galinato, 2010. "The Effects of Corruption Control and Political Stability on the Environmental Kuznets Curve of Deforestation-Induced Carbon Dioxide Emissions," Working Papers 2010-9, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University.
More about this item
Keywordspoverty; environment; agriculture; deforestation; Malawi;
All these keywords.
- Q15 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Land Ownership and Tenure; Land Reform; Land Use; Irrigation; Agriculture and Environment
- Q23 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Forestry
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2009-12-19 (Africa)
- NEP-AGR-2009-12-19 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-DEV-2009-12-19 (Development)
- NEP-ENV-2009-12-19 (Environmental Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wai:econwp:09/10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/dewaknz.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Geua Boe-Gibson (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/dewaknz.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.