Biotechnology in New Zealand
This paper provides a detailed description of the New Zealand biotechnology sector based on a re-analysis of the first comprehensive (1998/99) survey of biotechnology in New Zealand, data from an original (2002) survey conducted by the author and a detailed review of secondary sources. It provides the background for a study of the determinants of innovation reported elsewhere (Marsh, 2004). A review of alternative data sources on sector size and characteristics is followed by a comparison of New Zealand and international biotech indicators. Data is presented on enterprise type and size and the age distribution of New Zealand biotech enterprises. This is followed by an analysis of innovative output using data on new products, processes and patents. Data is also presented on partnerships and alliances, information sources and other factors affecting innovative performance.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 64 (0)7 838 4758 (Administrator)
Fax: + 64 7 838 4331
Web page: http://cms.mngt.waikato.ac.nz/departments/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foltz, Jeremy D. & Barham, Bradford L. & Kim, Kwansoo, 2000. "Universities And Agricultural Biotechnology Patent Production," Proceedings:Transitions in Agbiotech: Economics of Strategy and Policy, June 24-25, 1999, Washington, D.C. 26030, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2135, David K. Levine.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1990.
"Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 287-343 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 3301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Malo Stéphane & Geuna Aldo, 1999. "Science-Technology Linkages in an Emerging Research Platform: The case of Combinatorial Chemistry and Biology," Research Memorandum 020, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Joly, Pierre-Benoit & de Looze, Marie-Angele, 1996. "An analysis of innovation strategies and industrial differentiation through patent applications: the case of plant biotechnology," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1027-1046, October.
- Dan Marsh, 2002. "Does New Zealand have an Innovation System for Biotechnology?," Working Papers in Economics 02/03, University of Waikato, Department of Economics.
- Jeremy Foltz & Bradford Barham & Kwansoo Kim, 2000. "Universities and agricultural biotechnology patent production," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 82-95.
- McMillan, G. Steven & Narin, Francis & Deeds, David L., 2000. "An analysis of the critical role of public science in innovation: the case of biotechnology," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-8, January.
- repec:fth:harver:1473 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andrew Devlin, 2003. "An Overview of Biotechnology Statistics in Selected Countries," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2003/13, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wai:econwp:04/01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Brian Silverstone)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.