Mandatory disclosure about environmental and employee matters in Italian listed corporate groups' reports
This paper analyzes the impact of a new specific regulation on the disclosure of environmental and employee matters in both consolidated-annual reports and social-environmental reports. It represents the first comprehensive attempt, as far as we are aware, at evaluating the impact of the 2.2.2007 Italian legislative decree n.32, following the 51/2003/CE directive, in both the consolidated-annual and social-environmental reports. All the Italian corporate groups which have drawn up stand-alone social-environmental reports both in 2005 and in 2010 have been selected: for each one of them also the consolidated-annual reports have been analyzed according to the dictate of the examined regulation. The results show the differences in corporate disclosure between the reports issued in 2005 (i.e. IAS first year of adoption and before the examined regulation) and those issued in 2010 (i.e. after the implementation of D.Lgs. 32/2007 which imposed to apply the Directive 51/2003/CE): there is a twofold increase, both in the number of groups which have a section dedicated to environmental and employee matters in the report on operations and in the value relevance assigned to non-financial indicators.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: San Giobbe, Cannaregio 873, 30121 Venezia|
Phone: +39 0412348721
Fax: +39 0412348701
Web page: http://www.unive.it/dip.management
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Denis Cormier & Michel Magnan & Barbara Van Velthoven, 2005. "Environmental disclosure quality in large German companies: Economic incentives, public pressures or institutional conditions?," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 3-39.
- Carlos Larrinaga & Francisco Carrasco & Carmen Correa & Fernando Llena & Jose Moneva, 2002. "Accountability and accounting regulation: the case of the Spanish environmental disclosure standard," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 723-740.
- Neu, D. & Warsame, H. & Pedwell, K., 1998. "Managing public impressions: environmental disclosures in annual reports," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 265-282, April.
- Matteo Bartolomeo & Martin Bennett & Jan Jaap Bouma & Peter Heydkamp & Peter James & Teun Wolters, 2000. "Environmental management accounting in Europe: current practice and future potential," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 31-52.
- Vanessa Magness, 2006. "Strategic posture, financial performance and environmental disclosure: An empirical test of legitimacy theory," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 19(4), pages 540-563, July.
- Michel Capron & Rob Gray, 2000. "Experimenting with assessing corporate social responsibility in France: an exploratory note on an initiative by social economy firms," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 99-109.
- Tim Newton, 1997. "Green Business: Technicist Kitsch?," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1), pages 75-98, 01.
- Cormier, Denis & Magnan, Michel, 2003. "Environmental reporting management: a continental European perspective," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 43-62.
- Botosan, Christine A., 2004. "Discussion of a framework for the analysis of firm risk communication," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 289-295.
- Patten, Dennis M., 2005. "The accuracy of financial report projections of future environmental capital expenditures: a research note," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 457-468, July.
- Clarkson, Peter M. & Li, Yue & Richardson, Gordon D. & Vasvari, Florin P., 2008. "Revisiting the relation between environmental performance and environmental disclosure: An empirical analysis," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 33(4-5), pages 303-327.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vnm:wpdman:19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco LiCalzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.