Environmental expenditure disclosure strategies in a regulated context
[Stratégies de publication des dépenses environnementales dans un cadre réglementaire]
Environmental expenditures (EE) are used to assess and monitor corporate environmental performance. Legislators are aware of the informative potential of this indicator, and listed firms are required to disclose their EE. Our research draws on legitimacy theory to identify and explain the strategic responses of a sample of French listed companies to the requirement to disclose this item. A content analysis identifies three different strategies: no response, a “facade” response, and a substantive response. Tests reveal several determinants of these strategies: environmental criticism, the existence of SRI shareholders, and the business sector. Our research contributes to both academic and regulatory debates on standardization of environmental disclosures, by revealing and explaining how firms behave in response to the law.
|Date of creation:||2017|
|Publication status:||Published in Comptabilité - Contrôle - Audit, Association Francophone de Comptabilité ; Vuibert, 2017|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01576195|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Owusu-Ansah, Stephen, 1998. "The impact of corporate attribites on the extent of mandatory disclosure and reporting by listed companies in Zimbabwe," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 605-631.
- Maria Joutsenvirta, 2011. "Setting Boundaries for Corporate Social Responsibility: Firm–NGO Relationship as Discursive Legitimation Struggle," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 102(1), pages 57-75, August.
- Blake E. Ashforth & Barrie W. Gibbs, 1990. "The Double-Edge of Organizational Legitimation," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 1(2), pages 177-194, May.
- repec:bla:joares:v:23:y:1985:i:1:p:123-145 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jurate Jaraite & Andrius Kazukauskas & Tommy Lundgren, 2014. "The effects of climate policy on environmental expenditure and investment: evidence from Sweden," Journal of Environmental Economics and Policy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 148-166, July.
- Jon Burchell & Joanne Cook, 2013. "Sleeping with the Enemy? Strategic Transformations in Business–NGO Relationships Through Stakeholder Dialogue," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 113(3), pages 505-518, March.
- Pratima Bansal & Geoffrey Kistruck, 2006. "Seeing Is (Not) Believing: Managing the Impressions of the Firmâ€™s Commitment to the Natural Environment," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 67(2), pages 165-180, August.
- Jean-Noël Chauvey & Sophie Giordano-Spring & Charles Cho & Dennis Patten, 2015. "The Normativity and Legitimacy of CSR Disclosure: Evidence from France," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 130(4), pages 789-803, September.
- Barbu, Elena M. & Dumontier, Pascal & Feleagă, Niculae & Feleagă, Liliana, 2014. "Mandatory Environmental Disclosures by Companies Complying with IASs/IFRSs: The Cases of France, Germany, and the UK," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 231-247.
- Sophie Marmousez, 2012. "Étude d'une exception française : les déterminants du choix de la composition du collège de commissaires aux comptes," Comptabilité - Contrôle - Audit, Association francophone de comptabilité, vol. 18(1), pages 121-151.
- Florence Depoers & Thomas Jeanjean & Tiphaine Jérôme, 2016. "Voluntary Disclosure of Greenhouse Gas Emissions: Contrasting the Carbon Disclosure Project and Corporate Reports," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 134(3), pages 445-461, March.
- Cowen, Scott S. & Ferreri, Linda B. & Parker, Lee D., 1987. "The impact of corporate characteristics on social responsibility disclosure: A typology and frequency-based analysis," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 111-122, March.
- Aerts, Walter & Cormier, Denis, 2009. "Media legitimacy and corporate environmental communication," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Johnston, Derek, 2005. "An investigation of regulatory and voluntary environmental capital expenditures," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 175-206.
- Mohamed Chelli & Sylvain Durocher & Jacques Richard, 2014. "France's new economic regulations: insights from institutional legitimacy theory," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(2), pages 283-316, February.
- Jon Burchell & Joanne Cook, 2013. "CSR, Co-optation and Resistance: The Emergence of New Agonistic Relations Between Business and Civil Society," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 115(4), pages 741-754, July.
- Patten, Dennis M., 1991. "Exposure, legitimacy, and social disclosure," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 297-308.
- Patten, Dennis M., 2005. "The accuracy of financial report projections of future environmental capital expenditures: a research note," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 457-468, July.
- Carlos Larrinaga & Francisco Carrasco & Carmen Correa & Fernando Llena & Jose Moneva, 2002. "Accountability and accounting regulation: the case of the Spanish environmental disclosure standard," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 723-740.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/13026 is not listed on IDEAS
- Neu, D. & Warsame, H. & Pedwell, K., 1998. "Managing public impressions: environmental disclosures in annual reports," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 265-282, April.
- Freedman, Martin & Jaggi, Bikki, 2005. "Global warming, commitment to the Kyoto protocol, and accounting disclosures by the largest global public firms from polluting industries," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 215-232.
- Rob Gray & Mohammed Javad & David M. Power & C. Donald Sinclair, 2001. "Social and Environmental Disclosure and Corporate Characteristics: A Research Note and Extension," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(3-4), pages 327-356.
- Yves Mard & Sylvain Marsat, 2012. "Gestion des résultats comptables et structure de l'actionnariat : le cas français," Comptabilité - Contrôle - Audit, Association francophone de comptabilité, vol. 18(3), pages 11-42.
- Aerts, Walter & Cormier, Denis & Magnan, Michel, 2008. "Corporate environmental disclosure, financial markets and the media: An international perspective," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 643-659, January.
- Samer Hobeika & Jean-Pierre Ponssard & Sylvaine Poret, 2013. "Le rôle stratégique d'un label dans la formation d'un marché. Le cas de l'ISR en France," Working Papers hal-00771304, HAL.
- Darrell, W. & Schwartz, Bill N., 1997. "Environmental disclosures and public policy pressure," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 125-154.
- Roberts, Robin W., 1992. "Determinants of corporate social responsibility disclosure: An application of stakeholder theory," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 595-612, August.
- Clarkson, Peter M. & Li, Yue & Richardson, Gordon D. & Vasvari, Florin P., 2008. "Revisiting the relation between environmental performance and environmental disclosure: An empirical analysis," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 33(4-5), pages 303-327.
- A. Jolibert & M.-L. Gavard-Perret, 2012. "Méthodologie de la recherche en sciences de gestion : réussir son mémoire ou sa thèse," Post-Print halshs-00834052, HAL.
- Verrecchia, Robert E., 1983. "Discretionary disclosure," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 179-194, April.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/12415 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thomas Thijssens & Laury Bollen & Harold Hassink, 2015. "Secondary Stakeholder Influence on CSR Disclosure: An Application of Stakeholder Salience Theory," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 132(4), pages 873-891, December.
- Christophe Germain & Stéphane Trebucq, 2004. "La performance globale de l'entreprise et son pilotage : quelques réflexions," Post-Print hal-00765165, HAL.
- Diane-Laure Arjaliès & Samer Hobeika & Ponssard Jean-Pierre & Sylvaine Poret, 2013. "Le rôle de la labellisation dans la construction d’un marché. Le cas de l’ISR en France," Post-Print hal-01099641, HAL.
- Cho, Charles H. & Patten, Dennis M., 2007. "The role of environmental disclosures as tools of legitimacy: A research note," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 32(7-8), pages 639-647.
- Duncan McLaren, 2004. "Global Stakeholders: corporate accountability and investor engagement," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(2), pages 191-201, April.
- Elena Barbu & Pascal Dumontier & Liliana Feleagă & Niculae Feleagă, 2014. "Mandatory environmental disclosures by companies complying with IASs/IFRSs. The cases of France, Germany and UK," Post-Print halshs-01319288, HAL.
- Frédérique Déjean & Isabelle Martinez, 2009. "Communication environnementale des entreprises du SBF120 : déterminants et conséquences sur le coût du capital actions," Comptabilité - Contrôle - Audit, Association francophone de comptabilité, vol. 15(1), pages 55-77.
- Salma Damak-Ayadi, 2010. "Le reporting social et environnemental suite à l'application de la loi NRE en France," Comptabilité - Contrôle - Audit, Association francophone de comptabilité, vol. 16(1), pages 53-81.
- E. Barbu & P. Dumontier & Niculae Feleagă & Liliana Feleagă, 2014. "Mandatory Environmental Disclosures by Companies Complying with IASs/IFRSs: The Cases of France, Germany, and the UK," Post-Print halshs-01025802, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-01576195. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.