Credit contagion in a network of firms with spatial interaction
In this contribution we carried out a wide simulation analysis in order to study the contagion mechanism induced in a portfolio of bank loans by the presence of business relationships among the positions. To this aim we jointly apply a structural model based on a factor approach extended in order to include the presence of microeconomic relationships that takes into account the counterparty risk, and a network model to describe the business connections among interdependent firms. The network of firms is generated resorting to an entropy spatial interaction model.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dorsoduro, 3825/E, 30123 Venezia|
Phone: ++39 041 2346910-6911
Fax: ++ 39 041 5221756
Web page: http://www.dma.unive.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Murat Celik, H. & Guldmann, Jean-Michel, 2007. "Spatial interaction modeling of interregional commodity flows," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 147-162, June.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Javier Mencía, 2007. "Modeling the distribution of credit losses with observable and latent factors," Working Papers 0709, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Lucas, Andre & Klaassen, Pieter & Spreij, Peter & Straetmans, Stefan, 2001.
"An analytic approach to credit risk of large corporate bond and loan portfolios,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1635-1664, September.
- Lucas, André & Klaassen, Pieter & Spreij, Peter, 1999. "An analytic approach to credit risk of large corporate bond and loan portfolios," Serie Research Memoranda 0018, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Kern, Markus & Rudolph, Bernd, 2001. "Comparative analysis of alternative credit risk models: An application on German middle market loan portfolios," CFS Working Paper Series 2001/03, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Didier Cossin & Henry Schellhorn, 2007. "Credit Risk in a Network Economy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(10), pages 1604-1617, October.
- Westgaard, Sjur & van der Wijst, Nico, 2001. "Default probabilities in a corporate bank portfolio: A logistic model approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(2), pages 338-349, December.
- Hans Degryse & Steven Ongena, 2005.
"Distance, Lending Relationships, and Competition,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 60(1), pages 231-266, 02.
- Hans Degryse & Steven Ongena, 2002. "Distance, Lending Relationships, and Competition," CSEF Working Papers 80, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Degryse, H.A. & Ongena, S., 2002. "Distance, Lending Relationships and Competition," Discussion Paper 2002-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Degryse, H.A. & Ongena, S., 2003. "Distance, Lending Relationships, and Competition," Discussion Paper 2003-123, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Diana Barro & Antonella Basso, 2008. "A network of business relations to model counterparty risk," Working Papers 171, Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Robert A. Jarrow, 2001. "Counterparty Risk and the Pricing of Defaultable Securities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(5), pages 1765-1799, October.
- Darrell DUFFIE & Andreas ECKNER & Guillaume HOREL & Leandro SAITA, .
"Frailty Correlated Default,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series
08-44, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Siem Jan Koopman & André Lucas, 2003.
"Business and Default Cycles for Credit Risk,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
03-062/2, Tinbergen Institute, revised 09 Jan 2003.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2000.
"Does Distance Still Matter? The Information Revolution in Small Business Lending,"
NBER Working Papers
7685, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2002. "Does Distance Still Matter? The Information Revolution in Small Business Lending," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2533-2570, December.
- Sanjiv R. Das & Darrell Duffie & Nikunj Kapadia & Leandro Saita, 2007.
"Common Failings: How Corporate Defaults Are Correlated,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 62(1), pages 93-117, 02.
- Sanjiv Das & Darrell Duffie & Nikunj Kapadia & Leandro Saita, 2006. "Common Failings: How Corporate Defaults are Correlated," NBER Working Papers 11961, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Domenico Delli Gatti & Mauro Gallegati & Bruce Greenwald & Alberto Russo & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2010.
"Business fluctuations in a credit-network economy,"
- Delli Gatti, Domenico & Gallegati, Mauro & Greenwald, Bruce & Russo, Alberto & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2006. "Business fluctuations in a credit-network economy," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 370(1), pages 68-74.
- Neu, Peter & Kühn, Reimer, 2004. "Credit risk enhancement in a network of interdependent firms," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 342(3), pages 639-655.
- Carling, Kenneth & Lundberg, Sofia, 2005. "Asymmetric information and distance: an empirical assessment of geographical credit rationing," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 39-59.
- Sumit Agarwal & Robert Hauswald, 2007. "Distance and information asymmetries in lending decisions," Proceedings 1052, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Rudi Sch\"afer & Markus Sj\"olin & Andreas Sundin & Michal Wolanski & Thomas Guhr, 2007. "Credit risk - A structural model with jumps and correlations," Papers 0707.3478, arXiv.org, revised Jul 2007.
- Philipp J. Schönbucher, 2000. "Factor Models for Portofolio Credit Risk," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse16_2001, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Egloff, Daniel & Leippold, Markus & Vanini, Paolo, 2007. "A simple model of credit contagion," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 2475-2492, August.
- Diana Barro & Antonella Basso, 2006. "A credit contagion model for loan portfolios in a network of firms with spatial interaction," Working Papers 143, Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- David Saunders & Costas Xiouros & Stavros Zenios, 2007. "Credit risk optimization using factor models," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 152(1), pages 49-77, July.
- Carling, Kenneth & Rönnegård, Lars & Roszbach, Kasper, 2004. "Is Firm Interdependence within Industries Important for Portfolio Credit Risk?," Working Paper Series 168, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Schäfer, Rudi & Sjölin, Markus & Sundin, Andreas & Wolanski, Michal & Guhr, Thomas, 2007. "Credit risk—A structural model with jumps and correlations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 383(2), pages 533-569.
- Giesecke, Kay & Weber, Stefan, 2004. "Cyclical correlations, credit contagion, and portfolio losses," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 3009-3036, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vnm:wpaper:186. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco LiCalzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.