Forecasting Implied Volatility Surfaces
We propose a new semi-parametric model for the implied volatility surface, which incorporates machine learning algorithms. Given a starting model, a tree-boosting algorithm sequentially minimizes the residuals of observed and estimated implied volatility. To overcome the poor predicting power of existing models, we include a grid in the region of interest, and implement a cross-validation strategy to find an optimal stopping value for the tree boosting. Back testing the out-of-sample appropriateness of our model on a large data set of implied volatilities on S&P 500 options, we provide empirical evidence of its strong predictive potential, as well as comparing it to other standard approaches in the literature.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41 71 224 23 25
Fax: +41 71 224 31 35
Web page: http://www.seps.unisg.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francesco Audrino, 2005. "The Stability of Factor Models of Interest Rates," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 3(3), pages 422-441.
- Hentschel, Ludger, 2003. "Errors in Implied Volatility Estimation," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(04), pages 779-810, December.
- Rama Cont & Jose da Fonseca, 2002. "Dynamics of implied volatility surfaces," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 45-60.
- Matthias R. Fengler & Wolfgang K. H�rdle & Enno Mammen, 0. "A semiparametric factor model for implied volatility surface dynamics," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 5(2), pages 189-218.
- Nicolas P. B. Bollen & Robert E. Whaley, 2004. "Does Net Buying Pressure Affect the Shape of Implied Volatility Functions?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 711-753, 04.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521778251 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521662086 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bernard Dumas & Jeff Fleming & Robert E. Whaley, 1998. "Implied Volatility Functions: Empirical Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2059-2106, December.
- Heston, Steven L & Nandi, Saikat, 2000. "A Closed-Form GARCH Option Valuation Model," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(3), pages 585-625.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usg:dp2007:2007-42. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joerg Baumberger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.