Locations and Relocations:Modelling, Determinants, and Interrelations
Empirical studies on industrial location do not typically distinguish between new and relocated establishments. This paper addresses this shortcoming using data on the frequency of these events in municipalities of the same economic-administrative region. This enables us to test not only for differences in their determinants but also for interrelations between start-ups and relocations. Estimates from count regression models for cross-section and panel data show that, although partial effects differ, common patterns arise in â€œinstitutionalâ€ and â€œneoclassicalâ€ explanatory factors. Also, start-ups and relocations are positive but asymmetrically related. JEL classification: C25, R30, R10. Keywords: cities, count data models, industrial location
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 977 75 98 00
Fax: 977 75 98 10
Web page: http://www.urv.catEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brouwer, A.E. & Mariotti, I. & Ommeren, J.N. van, 2003.
"The firm relocation decision: an empirical investigation,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0023, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Aleid E. Brouwer & Ilaria Mariotti & Jos N. van Ommeren, 2004. "The firm relocation decision: An empirical investigation," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 335-347, 06.
- Strauss-Kahn, Vanessa & Vives, Xavier, 2006.
"Why and where do headquarters move?,"
IESE Research Papers
D/650, IESE Business School.
- Pellenbarg, P.H. & Wissen, L.J.G. van & Dijk, J. van, 2002. "Firm relocation: state of the art and research prospects," Research Report 02D31, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Figueiredo, Octavio & Guimaraes, Paulo & Woodward, Douglas, 2002. "Home-field advantage: location decisions of Portuguese entrepreneurs," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 341-361, September.
- Josep Maria Arauzo Carod, 2005.
"Determinants of industrial location: An application for Catalan municipalities,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(1), pages 105-120, 03.
- Josep Maria Arauzo Carod, . "Determinants of industrial location. An application for Catalan municipalities," Studies on the Spanish Economy 138, FEDEA.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1988. "Chi-Square Diagnostic Tests for Econometric Models: Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1419-53, November.
- Holl, Adelheid, 2004. "Manufacturing location and impacts of road transport infrastructure: empirical evidence from Spain," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 341-363, May.
- Josep Maria Arauzo Carod & Miguel C. ManjÛn AntolÌn, 2004.
"Firm Size and Geographical Aggregation: An Empirical Appraisal in Industrial Location,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 22(3_4), pages 299-312, 04.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Manjón Antolín, Miguel C., 2001. "Firm Size and Geographical Aggregation: An Empirical Appraisal in Industrial Location," Working Papers 2072/1772, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Lee, Yoonsoo, 2008.
"Geographic redistribution of US manufacturing and the role of state development policy,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 436-450, September.
- Yoonsoo Lee, 2004. "Geographic redistribution of U.S. manufacturing and the role of state development policy," Working Paper 0415, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Mullahy, John, 1997. "Heterogeneity, Excess Zeros, and the Structure of Count Data Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 337-50, May-June.
- Erickson, Rodney A. & Wasylenko, Michael, 1980. "Firm relocation and site selection in suburban municipalities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 69-85, July.
- Yoonsoo Lee, 2006. "Relocation patterns in U.S. manufacturing," Working Paper 0624, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Papke, Leslie E., 1991.
"Interstate business tax differentials and new firm location : Evidence from panel data,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 47-68, June.
- Leslie E. Papke, 1989. "Interstate Business Tax Differentials and New Firm Location: Evidence from Panel Data," NBER Working Papers 3184, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce Blonigen, 2005.
"A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants,"
Atlantic Economic Journal,
International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 33(4), pages 383-403, December.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 2005. "A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants," NBER Working Papers 11299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Figueiredo, Octavio & Woodward, Douglas, 2000. "Agglomeration and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in Portugal," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 115-135, January.
- Sin, Chor-Yiu & White, Halbert, 1996. "Information criteria for selecting possibly misspecified parametric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 207-225.
- Paulo Guimaraes & Octávio Figueiredo & Douglas Woodward, 2004. "Industrial Location Modeling: Extending the Random Utility Framework," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 1-20.
- Paulo Guimaraes & Octavio Figueiredo & Douglas Woodward, 2000.
"A tractable approach to the firm location decision problem,"
NIMA Working Papers
2, Núcleo de Investigação em Microeconomia Aplicada (NIMA), Universidade do Minho.
- Paulo Guimar�es & Octávio Figueirdo & Douglas Woodward, 2003. "A Tractable Approach to the Firm Location Decision Problem," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(1), pages 201-204, February.
- Khalid Sekkat & Didier Baudewyns & Mohammed Ben Ayad, 2000. "Infrastructure publique et localisation des entreprises à Bruxelles et en Wallonie," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7434, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Adelheid Holl, 2004.
"Start-ups and relocations: Manufacturing plant location in Portugal,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 83(4), pages 649-668, October.
- Adelheid Holl, 2004. "Start-ups and relocations: Manufacturing plant location in Portugal," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 83(4), pages 649-668, October.
- John A. List & W. Warren McHone, 2000. "Measuring the effects of air quality regulations on "dirty" firm births: Evidence from the neo- and mature-regulatory periods," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 79(2), pages 177-190.
- Jerry A. Hausman & Bronwyn H. Hall & Zvi Griliches, 1984.
"Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausman, Jerry & Hall, Bronwyn H & Griliches, Zvi, 1984. "Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 909-38, July.
- Randy Becker & Vernon Henderson, 2000. "Effects of Air Quality Regulations on Polluting Industries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(2), pages 379-421, April.
- Adelheid Holl, 2004. "Transport Infrastructure, Agglomeration Economies, and Firm Birth: Empirical Evidence from Portugal," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(4), pages 693-712.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:urv:wpaper:2072/5316. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ariadna Casals)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.