Coping with Complexity. Keynes and International Economic Relations in the Aftermath of WWI
In the attempt to deepen the understanding of Keynes's thought as an international macroeconomist, we explore the hypothesis of consistency between his general methodological approach to the economic material and his way of reasoning about international economic relations as shaped by WWI. We argue that the methodology of "The Economic Consequences of the Peace" reflects Keynes's attempt to cope with the attributes of the complexity characterizing the European settlement for the post-war period, and particularly 1) organic interdependence among variables at play, 2) irreducible dilemmas and situations of conflict, as well as 3) the need for external, public assistance to overcome the impasse and promote a "shared responsibilities" approach to the imbalances. Striking similarities appearing with the method of Keynes's economic diplomacy in the Forties call for further research in this sense.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Perrone 18, 28100 Novara|
Web page: http://semeq.unipmn.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marchionatti Roberto, 2002. "Dealing with complexity Marshall and Keynes on the nature of economic thinking," CESMEP Working Papers 200201, University of Turin.
- Anna Carabelli, 1998. "Keynes on Probability, Uncertainty and Tragic Choices," Cahiers d'Économie Politique, Programme National Persée, vol. 30(1), pages 187-226.
- J. B. Davis, 1990. "Keynes and Organicism," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 12(2), pages 308-315, January.
- de Cecco, Marcello, 1979. "Origins of the Post-War Payments System," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 49-61, March.
- Mario Cedrini, 2008.
"Consensus versus freedom or consensus upon freedom? from Washington disorder to the rediscovery of Keynes,"
Journal of Post Keynesian Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 30(4), pages 499-522, July.
- Cedrini Mario, 2007. "Consensus vs. freedom of consensus upon freedom? From Washington disorder to the rediscovery of Keynes," CESMEP Working Papers 200708, University of Turin.
- Markwell, Donald, 2006. "John Maynard Keynes and International Relations: Economic Paths to War and Peace," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198292364, December.
- Anna Maria Carabelli & Mario Aldo Cedrini, 2007. "Current Global Imbalances: Might Keynes Be of Help?," Working Papers 113, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upo:upopwp:121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.