Keynes's General Theory, Treatise on Money and Tract on Monetary Reform: Different Theories, Same Methodological Approach?
In trying to assess the content and significance of Keynes's attempted revolution in economic methodology, historians have almost exclusively focused on the General Theory. By highlighting the legacy of the Treatise on Probability for Keynes's economic writings, this paper provides evidence of strong methodologic al continuity between the Tract on Monetary Reform, the Treatise on Money and the General Theory, despite radical differences in the theories. We argue that the novelty of Keynes's approach lies in offering a method of analysis requiring cooperation on the part of the reader, in the effort to tackle the complexity of the economic material.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Lungo Dora Siena 100, I-10153 Torino|
Phone: +39 011670 4406
Fax: +39 011670 3895
Web page: http://www.unito.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greenwald, B & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1987.
"Keynesian, New Keynesian and New Classical Economics,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 39(1), pages 119-133, March.
- Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1987. "Keynesian, New Keynesian, and New Classical Economics," NBER Working Papers 2160, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward P. Lazear, 2000. "Economic Imperialism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 115(1), pages 99-146.
- Anna M. Carabelli & Mario A. Cedrini, 2010.
"Keynes and the Complexity of International Economic Relations in the Aftermath of World War I,"
Journal of Economic Issues,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 44(4), pages 1009-1028, December.
- Anna M. Carabelli & Mario A. Cedrini, 2008. "Coping with Complexity. Keynes and International Economic Relations in the Aftermath of WWI," Working Papers 121, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Anna M. Carabelli & Mario A. Cedrini, 2009.
"Indian Currency and Beyond. The Legacy of the Early Economics of Keynes in the Times of Bretton Woods II,"
121, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Anna M. Carabelli & Mario A. Cedrini, 2010. ">i>Indian Currency>/i> and beyond: the legacy of the early economics of Keynes in the times of Bretton Woods II," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 33(2), pages 255-280, January.
- Victoria Chick, 2003. "Theory, method and mode of thought in Keynes's General Theory," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 307-327.
- Eichner, Alfred S & Kregel, J A, 1975. "An Essay on Post-Keynesian Theory: A New Paradigm in Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 1293-1314, December.
- Anna M. Carabelli & Mario A. Cedrini, 2011. " Chapter 18 of the General Theory “Further Analysed”: The Theory of Economics as A Method," Working Papers 128, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- D. E. Moggridge, 1986. "Keynes and His Revolution in Historical Perspective," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 357-369, Oct-Dec.
- Roberto Marchionatti, 2010.
"J. M. Keynes, thinker of economic complexity,"
History of Economic Ideas,
Fabrizio Serra Editore, Pisa - Roma, vol. 18(2), pages 115-146.
- Fernando J. Cardim de Carvalho, 2013. "Keynes and the endogeneity of money," Review of Keynesian Economics, Edward Elgar Publishing, vol. 1(4), pages 431â€”446-4, October.
- Davidson, Paul, 1972. "Money and the Real World," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(325), pages 101-115, March.
- Patinkin, Don, 1975. "The Collected Writings of John Maynard Keynes: From the Tract to the General Theory," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 85(338), pages 249-271, June.
- Laidler,David, 1999.
"Fabricating the Keynesian Revolution,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521641739, December.
- Chick, Victoria & Dow, Sheila C, 2001. "Formalism, Logic and Reality: A Keynesian Analysis," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(6), pages 705-721, November.
- Robert W. Dimand, 1986. "The Macroeconomics of the Treatise on Money," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 431-450, Oct-Dec.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uto:dipeco:201344. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Piero Cavaleri)or (Marina Grazioli)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.