“Veiling The Controversies with Dubious Moral Attitudes”? Creditors and Debtors in Keynes’s Ethics of International Economic Relations
This paper addresses the enduring insistence on the moral dimension of international economic relations in Keynes’s economics and diplomacy. The issue has so far raised scarce attention in the literature, which tend to attribute some outstanding failures of Keynes’s economic diplomacy to the presumed instrumental use Keynes made of moral arguments. The paper provides a comprehensive account of the ethical arguments used by Keynes in his lifelong attempt to design a fair international order, and aims to demonstrate that this moral dimension is part of a well-defined ethics of international relations which privileges national policy space and freedom to choose.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Perrone 18, 28100 Novara|
Web page: http://semeq.unipmn.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anna Carabelli & Nicolo De Vecchi, 1999. "'Where to draw the line'? Keynes versus Hayek on Knowledge, ethics and economics," The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 271-296.
- Anna M. Carabelli & Mario A. Cedrini, 2010.
"Keynes and the Complexity of International Economic Relations in the Aftermath of World War I,"
Journal of Economic Issues,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 44(4), pages 1009-1028, December.
- Anna M. Carabelli & Mario A. Cedrini, 2008. "Coping with Complexity. Keynes and International Economic Relations in the Aftermath of WWI," Working Papers 121, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Michele Fratianni, 2009.
"Resurrecting Keynes to Stabilize the International Monetary System,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 339-358, July.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Michele Fratianni, 2008. "Resurrecting Keynes to Stabilize the International Monetary System," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 1, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Roger E. Backhouse & Bradley W. Bateman, 2009. "Keynes and Capitalism," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 41(4), pages 645-671, Winter.
- Anna M. Carabelli & Mario A. Cedrini, 2010. "Global imbalances, monetary disorder, and shrinking policy space: Keynes's legacy for our troubled world," European Journal of Economics and Economic Policies: Intervention, Edward Elgar Publishing, vol. 7(2), pages 303-323.
- J. B. Davis, 1990. "Keynes and Organicism," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 12(2), pages 308-315, January.
- Roberto Marchionatti, 2010.
"J. M. Keynes, thinker of economic complexity,"
History of Economic Ideas,
Fabrizio Serra Editore, Pisa - Roma, vol. 18(2), pages 115-146.
- Sean Turnell, 2002. "Keynes, Economics and War: A Liberal Dose of Realism," Research Papers 0207, Macquarie University, Department of Economics.
- Yves Zenou & Philippe Batifoulier & Laurent Cordonnier, 1992. "L'emprunt de la théorie économique à la tradition sociologique. Le cas du don contre-don," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 43(5), pages 917-946.
- Robert Dimand, 2006. "Keynes on Global Economic Integration," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 34(2), pages 175-182, June.
- Anna Maria Carabelli & Mario Aldo Cedrini, 2007. "Current Global Imbalances: Might Keynes Be of Help?," Working Papers 113, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Anna M. Carabelli & Mario A. Cedrini, 2009.
"The Economic Problem of Happiness. Keynes on Happiness and Economics,"
123, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Anna Carabelli & Mario Cedrini, 2011. "The Economic Problem of Happiness: Keynes on Happiness and Economics," Forum for Social Economics, Springer;The Association for Social Economics, vol. 40(3), pages 335-359, October.
- Anna Carabelli & Mario Cedrini, 2011. "The Economic Problem of Happiness: Keynes on Happiness and Economics," Forum for Social Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(3), pages 335-359, January.
- Anna Carabelli, 1998. "Keynes on Probability, Uncertainty and Tragic Choices," Cahiers d'Économie Politique, Programme National Persée, vol. 30(1), pages 187-226.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upo:upopwp:127. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.