Early International Entrepreneurship in China: Extent and Determinants
We use data on 3,948 Chinese firms obtained from the World Bank.s Investment Climate Private Enterprise Survey to investigate early international entrepreneurship (international new ventures) in China. The extent of early international entrepreneurship in China is significant: 65 per cent of the exporting firms start export operations within three years. Foreign shareholders within the firm and an entrepreneur with previous exporting experience are noted to significantly increase the probability that a firm internationalizes early. However, we find marked differences in the behaviour of indigenous and foreign-invested firms. Thus, while business networks are significant for firms wishing to export indirectly and for older indigenous firms, it is noted to delay the internationalization process of indigenous firms. Also, for an indigenous firm, the greater the foreign experience of its entrepreneur, the less likely it is to start exporting early.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Katajanokanlaituri 6B, 00160 Helsinki|
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 1977. "The Internationalization Process of the Firm—A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 23-32, March.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- F. Gerard Adams & Byron Gangnes & Yochanan Shachmurove, 2004.
"Why Is China So Competitive? Measuring and Explaining China’s Competitiveness,"
200406, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- F. Gerard Adams & Byron Gangnes & Yochanan Shachmurove, 2006. "Why is China so Competitive? Measuring and Explaining China's Competitiveness," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 95-122, 02.
- F. Gerard Adams & Byron Gangnes & Yochanan Shachmurove, 2004. "Why Is China So Competitive? Measuring and Explaining China’s Competitiveness," Working Papers 07-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Zhou, Lianxi, 2007. "The effects of entrepreneurial proclivity and foreign market knowledge on early internationalization," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 281-293, September.
- Michael A Witt & Arie Y Lewin, 2007. "Outward foreign direct investment as escape response to home country institutional constraints," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 579-594, July.
- Fonseca, Raquel & Lopez-Garcia, Paloma & Pissarides, Christopher A., 2001. "Entrepreneurship, start-up costs and employment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 692-705, May.
- Acedo, Francisco J. & Jones, Marian V., 2007. "Speed of internationalization and entrepreneurial cognition: Insights and a comparison between international new ventures, exporters and domestic firms," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 236-252, September.
- Wright, Richard W. & Etemad, Hamid, 2001. "SMEs and the global economy," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 151-154.
- Mary Amiti & Caroline Freund, 2010.
"The Anatomy of China's Export Growth,"
in: China's Growing Role in World Trade, pages 35-56
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zoltán J. Ács & Siri Terjesen, 2015.
"Born local: toward a theory of new venture’s choice of internationalization,"
in: Global Entrepreneurship, Institutions and Incentives, chapter 13, pages 242-256
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Zoltan Acs & Siri Terjesen, 2013. "Born local: toward a theory of new venture’s choice of internationalization," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 521-535, October.
- Albert Park & Dean Yang & Xinzheng Shi & Yuan Jiang, 2010.
"Exporting and Firm Performance: Chinese Exporters and the Asian Financial Crisis,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 92(4), pages 822-842, November.
- Albert Park & Dean Yang & Xinzheng Shi & Yuan Jiang, 2009. "Exporting and Firm Performance: Chinese Exporters and the Asian Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 14632, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Albert Park & Dean Yang & Xinzheng Shi & Yuan Jiang, 2006. "Exporting and Firm Performance: Chinese Exporters and the Asian Financial Crisis," Working Papers 549, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Zucchella, Antonella & Palamara, G. & Denicolai, S., 2007. "The drivers of the early internationalization of the firm," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 268-280, September.
- Ari Jantunen & Kaisu Puumalainen & Sami Saarenketo & Kalevi Kyläheiko, 2005. "Entrepreneurial Orientation, Dynamic Capabilities and International Performance," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 223-243, September.
- Robert Koopman & Zhi Wang & Shang-Jin Wei, 2008. "How Much of Chinese Exports is Really Made In China? Assessing Domestic Value-Added When Processing Trade is Pervasive," NBER Working Papers 14109, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tan, Justin, 2001. "Innovation and risk-taking in a transitional economy: A comparative study of chinese managers and entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 359-376, July.
- Girma, Sourafel & Gong, Yundan & Görg, Holger & Yu, Zhihong, 2007. "Can Production Subsidies Foster Export Activity? Evidence from Chinese Firm Level Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 6052, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Westhead, Paul & Wright, Mike & Ucbasaran, Deniz, 2001. "The internationalization of new and small firms: A resource-based view," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 333-358, July.
- Elizabeth Maitland & Elizabeth L Rose & Stephen Nicholas, 2005. "How firms grow: clustering as a dynamic model of internationalization," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(4), pages 435-451, July.
- Taye Mengistae & Catherine Pattillo, 2004.
"Export Orientation and Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(2), pages 6.
- Catherine A Pattillo & Taye Mengistae, 2002. "Export Orientation and Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 02/89, International Monetary Fund.
- Dollar, David, 2008. "Lessons from China for Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4531, The World Bank.
- Klapper, Leora & Laeven, Luc & Rajan, Raghuram, 2006. "Entry regulation as a barrier to entrepreneurship," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 591-629, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:rp2009-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.