Switching off or switching source : energy consumption and household
Access to energy is fundamental to improving quality of life and is a key imper-ative for economic development Energy Poverty Action. This is particularly truein Central Asia where winters are harsh and long. Changes in energy prices affectthe purchasing power of households, hitting the poor in particular. The impact verymuch depends on a households energy basket and the available strategies for switching to alternative energy sources. Using data from the Kyrgyz Integrated Household Survey KIHS 2011, this paper analyzes the prole of household energy consumption and the impact of electricity tariff increases on the probability that households would switch to alternative energy sources. Results suggest that households would respond to an electricity price increase by increasing consumption of fuels households would tend to move away from electricity-only heating source towards the use of stove-only.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ersado, Lire, 2012. "Poverty and distributional impact of gas price hike in Armenia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6150, The World Bank.
- Heltberg, Rasmus, 2004. "Fuel switching: evidence from eight developing countries," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 869-887, September.
- Gassmann, Franziska, 2012.
"Switching the lights off: The impact of energy tariff increases on households in the Kyrgyz Republic,"
MERIT Working Papers
066, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Gassmann, Franziska, 2014. "Switching the lights off: The impact of energy tariff increases on households in the Kyrgyz Republic," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 755-769.
- Price, Catherine Waddams & Pham, Khac, 2009. "The impact of electricity market reform on consumers," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 43-48, March.
- Silva, Patricia & Klytchnikova, Irina & Radevic, Dragana, 2009. "Poverty and environmental impacts of electricity price reforms in Montenegro," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 102-113, March.
- Heltberg, Rasmus, 2005. "Factors determining household fuel choice in Guatemala," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(03), pages 337-361, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:unumer:2013047. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.