The Innovativeness of Foreign Firms in China
This paper studies the relationship between foreign ownership and innovations of high novelty in context of advanced developing countries. We develop hypotheses about a direct relationship in terms of two dimensions, propensity and intensity of innovations of high novelty, and a contingency hypothesis about the moderating impact of R&D internationalisation on the relationship with propensity. The analysis is based on innovation survey data on manufacturing firms from Jiangsu province of China. Hypotheses are tested using non-parametric methods. We find that foreign firms do not have a higher propensity of innovations of high novelty, not even when they engage in formal R&D. However, the evidence suggests that foreign firms have a higher intensity of innovations of high novelty than domestic firms.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Archibugi, Daniele & Michie, Jonathan, 1995. "The Globalisation of Technology: A New Taxonomy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 121-40, February.
- John H Dunning, 1988. "The Eclectic Paradigm of International Production: A Restatement and Some Possible Extensions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 19(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Bruce Kogut & Udo Zander, 1993. "Knowledge of the Firm and the Evolutionary Theory of the Multinational Corporation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 24(4), pages 625-645, December.
- Dachs, Bernhard & Ebersberger, Bernd & Lööf, Hans, 2007.
"The Innovative Performance of Foreign-owned Enterprises in Small Open Economies,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation
87, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Bernhard Dachs & Bernd Ebersberger & Hans Lööf, 2008. "The innovative performance of foreign-owned enterprises in small open economies," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 393-406, August.
- Hirschey, Robert C & Caves, Richard E, 1981. "Research and Transfer of Technology by Multinational Enterprises," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 43(2), pages 115-30, May.
- Mohnen Pierre & Therrien Pierre, 2001.
"How Innovative are Canadian Firms Compared to Some European Firms? A Comparative Look at Innovation Surveys,"
032, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Pierre Mohnen & Pierre Therrien, 2001. "How Innovative Are Canadian Firms Compared to Some European Firms? A Comparative Look at Innovation Surveys," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-49, CIRANO.
- Lundin, Nannan & Sjöholm, Fredrik & Qian , Jinchang, 2006.
"The Role Of Small Firms In China’S Technology Development,"
EIJS Working Paper Series
227, The European Institute of Japanese Studies.
- Lundin, Nannan & Sjöholm, Fredrik & Ping, He & Qian, Jinchang, 2007. "The Role of Small Firms in China's Technology Development," Working Paper Series 695, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Kuemmerle, Walter, 1999. "Foreign direct investment in industrial research in the pharmaceutical and electronics industries--results from a survey of multinational firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 179-193, March.
- Walter Kuemmerle, 1999. "The Drivers of Foreign Direct Investment into Research and Development: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 30(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Luo, Yadong, 2002. "Partnering with foreign businesses: perspectives from Chinese firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 481-493, June.
- Cantwell, John & Santangelo, Grazia D., 1999. "The frontier of international technology networks: sourcing abroad the most highly tacit capabilities," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 101-123, March.
- Marion Frenz & Grazia Ietto-Gillies, 2007. "Does Multinationality Affect the Propensity to Innovate? An Analysis of the Third UK Community Innovation Survey," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 99-117.
- Kannebley, Sergio Jr. & Porto, Geciane S. & Pazello, Elaine Toldo, 2005. "Characteristics of Brazilian innovative firms: An empirical analysis based on PINTEC--industrial research on technological innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 872-893, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:unumer:2008019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.