Past, Present and Future of the Telecommunications Industry
The telecommunications industry has experienced a series of dramatic changes since itsinception in the 1880s. Due to the latest liberalization and privatization wave in the world, the telecommunications industry has turned into a dynamic environment and is rapidly growing.In addition, the New Economy emerged and brought new technological developments in the1990s. They have stimulated the convergence of previously distinct industries such as thetelecommunications, information technology, entertainment, media, and consumerelectronics, into the so-called multimedia information industry. This study discusses the (de)regulation actions and their implications on the telecommunications industry as of its beginning. Furthermore, this study also presents a general overview of major trends in inter-firm partnerships and M&As in the telecommunications industry since 1985, examining both the general developments and the distribution according to internationalization and industries. We find that the overall trends demonstrated an increase in importance of inter-firm partnerships and M&As over time. Another significant finding is the increase in importance of other industries. In relative terms, the growth of M&As and alliances with partners outside the telecommunications industry superseded the increase in the number of M&A’s and alliances within the industry.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: +31 (0)43 38 83 830
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Omura, Tatsuya, 1997. "Japan's stumbling policy for competition in the telecommunications industry," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 127-141, March.
- Chacko, Mani & Mitchell, Will, 1998. "Growth Incentives to Invest in a Network Externality Environment," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(4), pages 731-744, December.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2001.
"Liberalizing basic telecommunications : the Asian experience,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2718, The World Bank.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2002. "Liberalizing basic telecommunications : the Asian experience," HWWA Discussion Papers 163, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Chan-Olmsted, Sylvia & Jamison, Mark, 2001. "Rivalry through alliances:: Competitive Strategy in the Global Telecommunications Market," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 317-331, June.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2003. "An assessment of telecommunications reform in developing countries," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 443-466, December.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2002. "An assessment of telecommunications reform in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2909, The World Bank.
- Manova, Shalom, et al, 1998. "Mass Market Entry of Wireless Telecommunications," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(4), pages 679-694, December.
- Bourreau, Marc & Dogan, Pinar, 2001. "Regulation and innovation in the telecommunications industry," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 167-184, April.
- Tanaka, Eiichi, 1997. "The status of Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation (NTT)," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 85-99, March.
- Capron, Laurence & Mitchell, Will, 1998. "The Role of Acquisitions in Reshaping Business Capabilities in the International Telecommunications Industry," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(4), pages 715-730, December.
- Oh, Jong-Geun, 1996. "Global strategic alliances in the telecommunications industry," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 713-720, November.
- Graack, Cornelius, 1996. "Telecom operators in the European Union : Internationalization strategies and network alliances," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 341-355, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:umamet:2005015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Leonne Portz)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.