Telecommunications performance, reforms, and governance
The authors assess the effects of private capital and independent regulatory agencies on telecommunications performance by using cross-country panel data from 1990 to 2003. In general, they find that having independent regulatory agencies positively affects affordability and labor productivity, but negatively affects quality. Having private capital positively affects access, quality, and labor productivity, but negatively affects affordability. However, reform policies affect industrial and developing countries differently in some cases. The authors also find that governance plays an important role as it affects performance and interacts with reform policies.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scott Wallsten, 2003. "Of Carts and Horses: Regulation and Privatization in Telecommunications Reforms," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(4), pages 217-231.
- Gutierrez, Luis Hernando, 2003. "The Effect of Endogenous Regulation on Telecommunications Expansion and Efficiency in Latin America," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 257-286, May.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2001.
"Liberalizing basic telecommunications : the Asian experience,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2718, The World Bank.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2002. "Liberalizing basic telecommunications : the Asian experience," HWWA Discussion Papers 163, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Antonio Estache & Marco Manacorda & Tommaso M. Valletti, 2002. "Telecommunications Reform, Access Regulation, and Internet Adoption in Latin America," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Spring 20), pages 153-218, January.
- Estache, Antonio & Manacorda, Marco & Valletti, Tommaso M., 2002. "Telecommunication reforms, access regulation, and Internet adoption in Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2802, The World Bank.
- Olivier Boylaud & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2003. "Regulation, market structure and performance in telecommunications," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2001(1), pages 99-142.
- Olivier Boylaud & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2000. "Regulation, Market Structure and Performance in Telecommunications," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 237, OECD Publishing.
- Chunrong AI & Salvador Martinez & David Sappington, 2004. "Incentive Regulation and Telecommunications Service Quality," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 263-285, 08.
- Jordi Gual & Francesc Trillas, 2003. "Telecommunications Policies: Determinants and Impact," Working Papers 2003/2, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Gual, Jordi & Trillas, Francesc, 2003. "Telecommunications policies: Determinants and impact," IESE Research Papers D/510, IESE Business School.
- Gual, Jordi & Trillas, Francesco, 2004. "Telecommunications Policies: Determinants and Impact," CEPR Discussion Papers 4578, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Estache, Antonio & Goicoechea, Ana, 2005. "A"research"database on infrastructure economic performance," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3643, The World Bank.
- Li, Wei & Xu, Lixin Colin, 2004. "The Impact of Privatization and Competition in the Telecommunications Sector around the World," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(2), pages 395-430, October.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2003. "An assessment of telecommunications reform in developing countries," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 443-466, December.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2002. "An assessment of telecommunications reform in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2909, The World Bank.
- Hank Intven, 2000. "Telecommunications Regulation Handbook," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15249, April.
- Ros, Agustin J, 1999. "Does Ownership or Competition Matter? The Effects of Telecommunications Reform on Network Expansion and Efficiency," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 65-92, January.
- Ros Agustin J., 2003. "The Impact of the Regulatory Process and Price Cap Regulation in Latin American Telecommunications Markets," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(3), pages 1-17, September.
- Wallsten, Scott J, 2001. "An Econometric Analysis of Telecom Competition, Privatization, and Regulation in Africa and Latin America," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 1-19, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:3822. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.