Investments In Consumer Relationships - A Critical Reassessment And Model Extension
This study is a critical reassessment and extension of De Wulf, Odekerken-Schröder, and Iacobucci’s (2001) framework investigating retail investments in consumer relationships. Their initial model relates four types of relationship marketing efforts to perceived relationship investment, in turn influencing relationship quality and ultimately behavioral loyalty. Based upon signaling theory, we extend this model by introducing product and service efforts as additional antecedents. Moreover, in contrast to the use of self-reported measures in the initial model, we apply customer database information in order to measure the construct of behavioral loyalty. Based upon 187 consumers reporting on their relationship with a Belgian apparel retailer, the SEM results provide guidelines for retailers how to increase the quality of their relationships with consumers by strengthening consumers’ perceptions of relationship investment.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: +31 (0)43 38 83 830
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Babakus, Emin & Boller, Gregory W., 1992. "An empirical assessment of the SERVQUAL scale," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 253-268, May.
- Bolton, Ruth N & Drew, James H, 1991. " A Multistage Model of Customers' Assessments of Service Quality and Value," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(4), pages 375-84, March.
- Yoo, Changjo & Park, Jonghee & MacInnis, Deborah J., 1998. "Effects of Store Characteristics and In-Store Emotional Experiences on Store Attitude," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 253-263, July.
- Bejou, David & Wray, Barry & Ingram, Thomas N., 1996. "Determinants of relationship quality: An artificial neural network analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 137-143, June.
- Hildebrandt, Lutz, 1987. "Consumer retail satisfaction in rural areas: A reanalysis of survey data," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 19-42, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:umamet:2002077. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Leonne Portz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.