Self-regulation in collaborative environments : the case of the equator principles in banking
Using banks in the syndicated lending market, we discuss a firm-specific strategy that has been overlooked by the literature, namely, that self-regulated firms pressure other non-self-regulated firms in an attempt to reduce effort asymmetries when collaborating. We develop a framework that shows when such a strategy is likely to be present. This framework is built on the view that the costs and benefits of collaboration are equally shared among self-regulated firms that collaborate. However, when self-regulated firms collaborate with non-self-regulated firms, the effort they exert differs and is not equally shared. In particular, we find that when firms collaborate, self-regulated firms pressure non-self-regulated firms to become self-regulated with the purpose of reducing effort asymmetries, and such a pressure increases with the duration of the collaboration.
|Date of creation:||2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: +31 (0)43 38 83 830
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rob van Tulder & Ans Kolk, 2001. "Multinationality and Corporate Ethics: Codes of Conduct in the Sporting Goods Industry," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 32(2), pages 267-283, June.
- Arora Seema & Cason Timothy N., 1995. "An Experiment in Voluntary Environmental Regulation: Participation in EPA's 33/50 Program," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 271-286, May.
- Tykvova, Tereza, 2007.
"Who chooses whom? Syndication, skills and reputation,"
Review of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 5-28.
- Tykvová, Tereza, 2005. "Who Chooses Whom? Syndication, Skills and Reputation," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-74, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Maxwell, John W & Lyon, Thomas P & Hackett, Steven C, 2000. "Self-Regulation and Social Welfare: The Political Economy of Corporate Environmentalism," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 583-617, October.
- John W. Maxwell & Thomas P Lyon & Steven C.. Hackett, 1995. "Self-Regulation and Social Welfare: The Political Economy of Corporate Environmentalism," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 122, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Amir Sufi, 2007. "Information Asymmetry and Financing Arrangements: Evidence from Syndicated Loans," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(2), pages 629-668, 04.
- Godlewski, Christophe J. & Weill, Laurent, 2008. "Syndicated loans in emerging markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 206-219, September.
- Christophe J. Godlewski & Laurent Weill, 2007. "Syndicated Loans in Emerging Markets," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2007-03, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Christophe Godlewski & Laurent Weill, 2008. "Syndicated loans in emerging markets," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14182, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jonathan D. Jones & William W. Lang & Peter J. Nigro, 2005. "Agent Bank Behavior In Bank Loan Syndications," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 28(3), pages 385-402.
- Stefano Gatti & Stefanie Kleimeier & William Megginson & Alessandro Steffanoni, 2013. "Arranger Certification in Project Finance," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 42(1), pages 1-40, 03.
- Champagne, Claudia & Kryzanowski, Lawrence, 2007. "Are current syndicated loan alliances related to past alliances?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 3145-3161, October.
- Grajzl, Peter & Murrell, Peter, 2007. "Allocating lawmaking powers: Self-regulation vs government regulation," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 520-545, September.
- Peter Grajzl & Peter Murrell, 2005. "Allocating Law-Making Powers: Self-Regulation vs. Government Regulation," Electronic Working Papers 05-002, University of Maryland, Department of Economics.
- Segerson, Kathleen & Miceli, Thomas J., 1998. "Voluntary Environmental Agreements: Good or Bad News for Environmental Protection?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 109-130, September.
- Christophe J. Godlewski & Bulat Sanditov & Thierry Burger-Helmchen, 2012. "Bank Lending Networks, Experience, Reputation, and Borrowing Costs: Empirical Evidence from the French Syndicated Lending Market," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(1-2), pages 113-140, 01.
- Christophe J. Godlewski & Bulat Sanditov & Thierry Burger-Helmchen, 2012. "Bank lending networks, experience, reputation, and borrowing costs : empirical evidence from the french syndicated lending market," Post-Print hal-01289953, HAL.
- Stefanie Kleimeier & William L. Megginson, 2000. "Are Project Finance Loans Different From Other Syndicated Credits?," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 13(1), pages 75-87.
- Radhakrishnan Gopalan & Vikram Nanda & Vijay Yerramilli, 2011. "Does Poor Performance Damage the Reputation of Financial Intermediaries? Evidence from the Loan Syndication Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(6), pages 2083-2120, December.
- Dennis, Steven A. & Mullineaux, Donald J., 2000. "Syndicated Loans," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 404-426, October.
- Scholtens, Bert & Dam, Lammertjan, 2007. "Banking on the Equator. Are Banks that Adopted the Equator Principles Different from Non-Adopters?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 1307-1328, August.
- Pascal François & Franck Missonier-Piera, 2007. "The Agency Structure of Loan Syndicates," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 227-245, 05. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:umagsb:2016007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Leonne Portz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.