Latin America and the Caribbean’s Challenge to Reach the MDGs: Financing Options and Trade-offs
The present study analyzes the determinants of improving outcomes in education, health and basic sanitation and the macroeconomic trade-offs caused by scaling up public spending for the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), using an integrated modelling approach. At variance with other assessments, the analysis shows that most countries in Latin America and the Caribbean are “off track” towards many of the goals. The study shows that while achieving the goals is affordable for most countries in the region, governments will need to put greater emphasis on tax reforms to mobilize resources for increased social spending while avoiding undesirable macroeconomic trade-offs.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/working-papers.html|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Escaith, Hubert & Inoue, Keiji, 2001. "Small economies' tariff and subsidy policies in the face of trade liberalization of the Americas," Sede de la CEPAL en Santiago (Estudios e Investigaciones) 34828, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Francisco Rodriguez, 2007.
"Have Collapses in Infrastructure Spending led to Cross-Country Divergence in Per Capita GDP?,"
52, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Francisco Rodríguez, 2006. "Have Collapses in Infrastructure Spending Led to Cross-Country Divergence in per Capita GDP?," Wesleyan Economics Working Papers 2006-013, Wesleyan University, Department of Economics.
- Paul Glewwe, 2002. "Schools and Skills in Developing Countries: Education Policies and Socioeconomic Outcomes," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(2), pages 436-482, June.
- Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor, 1996. "The Labor Market and Economic Adjustment," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 43(2), pages 261-335, June.
- François Bourguignon & Mark Sundberg, 2006. "Constraints to Achieving the MDGs with Scaled-Up Aid," Working Papers 15, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:une:wpaper:68. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aimee Gao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.