Comparative Statics, English Auctions and the Stolper-Samuelson Theorem
Changes in the parameters of an n-dimensional system of equations induce changes in its solutions. For a class of such systems, we determine the qualitative change in solutions given certain qualitative changes in parameters. Our methods and results are elementary yet useful. They highlight the existence of a common thread, our “own effect” assumption, in formally diverse areas of economics. We discuss several applications; among them, we establish the existence of efficient equilibria in English auctions with interdependent valuations, and a version of the Stolper-Samuelson Theorem for an n × n trade model.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://www.fcs.edu.uy/subcategoria.php?SubCatId=48&CatId=53
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Wilson, 1998. "Sequential equilibria of asymmetric ascending auctions: The case of log-normal distributions," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 433-440.
- Silvia Laens & Inés Terra, 2003. "Integration of the Americas: Welfare Effects and Options for the MERCOSUR," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0903, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Milgrom, Paul R & Weber, Robert J, 1982.
"A Theory of Auctions and Competitive Bidding,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1089-1122, September.
- McAfee, R Preston & McMillan, John, 1987. "Auctions and Bidding," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(2), pages 699-738, June.
- Alvaro Forteza & Daniel Buquet & Mario Ibarburu & Jorge Lanzaro & Andrés Pereyra & Eduardo Siandra & Marcel Vaillant, 2003. "Understanding reform. The Uruguayan case," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0603, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Milgrom, Paul & Shannon, Chris, 1994.
"Monotone Comparative Statics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(1), pages 157-80, January.
- Dubra, Juan & Echenique, Federico & Manelli, Alejandro M., 2009.
"English auctions and the Stolper-Samuelson theorem,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 144(2), pages 825-849, March.
- Dubra, Juan & Echenique, Federico & Manelli, Alejandro, 2007. "English auctions and the Stolper-Samuelson theorem," MPRA Paper 8218, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chipman, John S, 1969. "Factor Price Equalization and the Stolper-Samuelson Theorem," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 10(3), pages 399-406, October.
- Federico Echenique & Alejandro Manelli, 2003.
"Comparative Statics, English Auctions, and the Stolper-Samuelson Theorem,"
GE, Growth, Math methods
- Federico Echenique & Alejandro Manelli, 2003. "Comparative Statics, English Auctions and the Stolper-Samuelson Theorem," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0503, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Echenique, Federico & Manelli, Alejandro M., 2003. "Comparative Statics, English Auctions, and the Stolper-Samuelson Theorem," Working Papers 1178, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Ethier, Wilfred J., 1984. "Higher dimensional issues in trade theory," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 3, pages 131-184 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ude:wpaper:0503. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Irene Musio)or (Héctor Pastori)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.