Integration of the Americas: Welfare Effects and Options for the MERCOSUR
The purpose of this paper is to assess the costs and benefits of the creation of the Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) and other integration options for the MERCOSUR with the other countries in the hemisphere. The GTAP, a multiregional, multisector CGE model is used to simulate the effects of several scenarios that are currently on debate. The existing preferences, granted by previous agreements under the framework of the Latin American Integration Association (LAIA), and the preferential treatment granted by the USA through the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP), the Caribbean Basin Initiative (CBI) and the Andean Trade Preference Act (ATPA) are taken into account. The analysis decomposes the effects of the FTAA in order to assess the importance of market opening and market access and identifies the net effect of trade creation and trade diversion. Additionally, the FTAA initiative is decomposed in possible subregional agreements among the countries involved (MERCOSUR – Andean Community, MERCOSUR – USA, etc.). The assessment includes the estimation of the welfare effects in case the agreement does not include the agricultural sector. All the results are presented for the MERCOSUR as a bloc and for each of its members.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Constituyente 1502, 6to piso, CP 11200, Montevideo|
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://cienciassociales.edu.uy/departamentodeeconomia/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brown, Drusilla K. & Deardorff, Alan V. & Stern, Robert M., 1995.
"Expanding NAFTA: Economic effects of accession of Chile and other major South American nations,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 149-170.
- Brown, D.K. & Deardoff, A.V. & Stern, R.M., 1995. "Expanding NAFTA: Economic Effects of Accession of Chile and Other Major South American Nations," Working Papers 376, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Grossman, Gene M & Helpman, Elhanan, 1995. "The Politics of Free-Trade Agreements," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(4), pages 667-690, September.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1993. "The Politics of Free Trade Agreements," Papers 166, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1993. "The Politics of Free Trade Agreements," Papers 14-93, Tel Aviv.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1993. "The Politics of Free Trade Agreements," NBER Working Papers 4597, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan, 1994. "The Politics of Free Trade Agreements," CEPR Discussion Papers 908, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Antoni Estevadeordal & Robert Devlin, 2001. "What's New in the New Regionalism in the Americas?," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 9372, Inter-American Development Bank.
- repec:fth:michin:376 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marcel, Vaillant & Alvaro, Ons, 2003. "Winners and Losers in a Free Trade Area between the United States and MERCOSUR," MPRA Paper 47315, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2003.
- Marcel Vaillant & Alvaro Ons, 2003. "Winners and Losers in a Free Trade Area between The United States and MERCOSUR," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1403, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Harrison, Glenn W. & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David G., 1997. "Trade policy options for Chile : a quantitative evaluation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1783, The World Bank.
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1998. "The New Regionalism," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1149-1161, July.
- Harrison, Glenn W. & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David G., 2001. "Chile's regional arrangements and the Free Trade Agreement of the Americas : the importance of market access," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2634, The World Bank.
- Salazar-Xirinachs, Jose M., 2002. "Proliferation of sub-Regional Trade Agreements in the Americas: an assessment of key analytical and policy issues," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 181-212. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)