Costs for conventional and renewable fuels and electricity in the worldwide transport sector: a mean-variance portfolio approach
In this paper we analyze the role of changes in the fuel mix on emissions reduction and the diversification of risks associated to rising prices of energy. To this purpose we evaluate the average cost and the cost volatility of alternative fuel combinations in the road transport sector by means of the Mean-Variance Portfolio Theory. The results suggest big gains in diversification of risks and emissions reduction associated with shifts away the current fuel mix, which is more than 90% concentrated worldwide in fossil fuels. Those shifts are discussed vis à vis the policy recommendations of the International Energy Agency on fuel use in the transport sector, and both the business as usual and the low carbon scenarios of the European Commission. In particular, shifting toward an efficient system would involve optimizing the use of biofuels (mostly from endogenous feedstock), with second generation biofuels taking the lead in the long-run, and this combined with electricity from clean sources. This scenario would mean reducing cost volatility by more than 50% as well as CO2 emissions by more than 30% in the long-run.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +34 913942604|
Web page: https://www.ucm.es/icae
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales. Pabellón prefabricado, 1ª Planta, ala norte. Campus de Somosaguas, 28223 - POZUELO DE ALARCÓN (MADRID)|
Web: https://www.ucm.es/fundamentos-analisis-economico2/documentos-de-trabajo-del-icae Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schade, Burkhard & Wiesenthal, Tobias, 2011. "Biofuels: A model based assessment under uncertainty applying the Monte Carlo method," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 92-126, January.
- Marrero, Gustavo A. & Ramos-Real, Francisco Javier, 2010.
"Electricity generation cost in isolated system: The complementarities of natural gas and renewables in the Canary Islands,"
Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews,
Elsevier, vol. 14(9), pages 2808-2818, December.
- Gustavo A. Marrero & Francisco Javier Ramos-Real, 2010. "Electricity generation cost in isolated system: the complementarities of natural gas and renewables in the Canary Islands," Working Papers 2010-17, FEDEA.
- Antonia Diaz & Luis A. Puch & Maria D. Guillo, 2004. "Costly Capital Reallocation and Energy Use," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(2), pages 494-518, April.
- Antonia Díaz & Luis A. Puch & María D. Guilló, 2001. "Costly capital reallocation and energy use," Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE 0111, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico.
- María Dolores Guilló & Antonia Díaz & Luis A. Puch, 2002. "Costly Capital Reallocation And Enery Use," Working Papers. Serie AD 2002-14, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Guilló, María D. & Díaz, Antonia & Puch, Luis A., 2001. "Costly capital reallocation and energy use," UC3M Working papers. Economics we015215, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Shimon Awerbuch, 2006. "Portfolio-Based Electricity Generation Planning: Policy Implications For Renewables And Energy Security," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 693-710, May.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981. "Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Discussion Papers 451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Lutz Kilian, 2008. "The Economic Effects of Energy Price Shocks," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 46(4), pages 871-909, December.
- Kilian, Lutz, 2007. "The Economic Effects of Energy Price Shocks," CEPR Discussion Papers 6559, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wiser, Ryan & Bachrach, Devra & Bolinger, Mark & Golove, William, 2004. "Comparing the risk profiles of renewable and natural gas-fired electricity contracts," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 335-363, August.
- Marrero, Gustavo A., 2010. "Greenhouse gases emissions, growth and the energy mix in Europe," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1356-1363, November.
- Patrick J. Kehoe & Andrew Atkeson, 1999. "Models of Energy Use: Putty-Putty versus Putty-Clay," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 1028-1043, September.
- Andrew Atkeson & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1994. "Models of Energy Use: Putty-Putty versus Putty-Clay," NBER Working Papers 4833, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arnesano, M. & Carlucci, A.P. & Laforgia, D., 2012. "Extension of portfolio theory application to energy planning problem – The Italian case," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 112-124.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Juul, Nina & Meibom, Peter, 2011. "Optimal configuration of an integrated power and transport system," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 3523-3530.
- Poudenx, Pascal, 2008. "The effect of transportation policies on energy consumption and greenhouse gas emission from urban passenger transportation," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(6), pages 901-909, July.
- Buti,Marco & Deroose,Servaas & Gaspar,Vitor & Martins,JoÃ£o Nogueira (ed.), 2010. "The Euro," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9789279098420, September.
- Gül, Timur & Kypreos, Socrates & Turton, Hal & Barreto, Leonardo, 2009. "An energy-economic scenario analysis of alternative fuels for personal transport using the Global Multi-regional MARKAL model (GMM)," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1423-1437.
- Merton, Robert C., 1972. "An Analytic Derivation of the Efficient Portfolio Frontier," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 1851-1872, September.
- Ajanovic, A. & Haas, R., 2010. "Economic challenges for the future relevance of biofuels in transport in EU countries," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 3340-3348.
- Roques, Fabien A. & Newbery, David M. & Nuttall, William J., 2008. "Fuel mix diversification incentives in liberalized electricity markets: A Mean-Variance Portfolio theory approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1831-1849, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)