Disadvantageous lies in individual decisions
We present experimental evidence on the existence of disadvantageous lies. Literature so far assumes that people do not lie to their monetary disadvantage. However, some people have preferences for appearing honest. If the utility gained from appearing honest outweighs the monetary payoff gained from an advantageous lie or the truth, people will tell a disadvantageous lie.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hauptstr. 90, CH-8280 Kreuzlingen 2|
Phone: +41-71-677 05 10
Fax: +41-71-677 05 11
Web page: http://www.twi-kreuzlingen.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Houser, Daniel & Vetter, Stefan & Winter, Joachim, 2012.
"Fairness and cheating,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19375, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Houser, Daniel & Vetter, Stefan & Winter, Joachim, 2010. "Fairness and Cheating," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 335, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Daniel Houser & Stefan Vetter & Joachim Winter, 2011. "Fairness and Cheating," Working Papers 1019, George Mason University, Interdisciplinary Center for Economic Science.
- Charness, Gary B & Dufwenberg, Martin, 2006.
"Promises & Partnership,"
University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series
qt0127h86v, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Cai, Hongbin & Wang, Joseph Tao-Yi, 2006. "Overcommunication in strategic information transmission games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 7-36, July.
- Shalvi, Shaul & Dana, Jason & Handgraaf, Michel J.J. & De Dreu, Carsten K.W., 2011. "Justified ethicality: Observing desired counterfactuals modifies ethical perceptions and behavior," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 181-190, July.
- Gary Charness & Martin Dufwenberg, 2006.
"Promises and Partnership,"
Econometric Society, vol. 74(6), pages 1579-1601, November.
- Bucciol, Alessandro & Piovesan, Marco, 2011.
"Luck or cheating? A field experiment on honesty with children,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 73-78, February.
- Alessandro Bucciol & Marco Piovesan, 2008. "Luck or Cheating? A Field Experiment on Honesty with Children," Discussion Papers 08-28, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Sjaak Hurkens & Navin Kartik, 2009. "Would I lie to you? On social preferences and lying aversion," Experimental Economics, Springer;Economic Science Association, vol. 12(2), pages 180-192, June.
- Tobias Lundquist & Tore Ellingsen & Erik Gribbe & Magnus Johannesson, 2009.
"The Aversion to Lying,"
- Li Hao & Daniel Houser, 2011. "Honest Lies," Working Papers 1021, George Mason University, Interdisciplinary Center for Economic Science.
- repec:lmu:muenar:19376 is not listed on IDEAS
- Santiago Sanchez-Pages & Marc Vorsatz, 2004.
"An Experimental Study of Truth-Telling in a Sender-Receiver Game,"
ESE Discussion Papers
128, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Sanchez-Pages, Santiago & Vorsatz, Marc, 2007. "An experimental study of truth-telling in a sender-receiver game," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 86-112, October.
- Dreber, Anna & Johannesson, Magnus, 2008. "Gender differences in deception," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 197-199, April.
- Rode, Julian, 2010. "Truth and trust in communication: Experiments on the effect of a competitive context," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 325-338, January.
- Akerlof, George A, 1983. "Loyalty Filters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 54-63, March.
- Uri Gneezy, 2005. "Deception: The Role of Consequences," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 384-394, March.
- Matthias Sutter, 2007.
"Deception through telling the truth?! Experimental evidence from individuals and teams,"
2007-26, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Matthias Sutter, 2009. "Deception Through Telling the Truth?! Experimental Evidence From Individuals and Teams," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(534), pages 47-60, 01.
- Navin Kartik, 2009.
"Strategic Communication with Lying Costs,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 76(4), pages 1359-1395.
- Santiago Sánchez-Pagés & Marc Vorsatz, 2009.
"Enjoy the silence: an experiment on truth-telling,"
Springer;Economic Science Association, vol. 12(2), pages 220-241, June.
- Sanjiv Erat & Uri Gneezy, 2012. "White Lies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 58(4), pages 723-733, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:twi:respas:0071. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gregor Govtvan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.