On the strategic value of risk management
This article examines how rms facing volatile input prices and holding some degree of market power in their product market link their risk management and their production or pricing strategies. This issue is relevant in many industries ranging from manufacturing to energy retailing, where risk averse rms decide on their hedging strategies before their product market strategies. We nd that hedging modi es the pricing and production strategies of rms. This strategic e¤ect is channelled through the risk-adjusted expected cost, i.e., the expected marginal cost under the probability measure induced by shareholders risk aversion. It has opposite e¤ects depending on the nature of product market competition: hedging toughens quantity competition while it softens price competition. Finally, if rms can decide not to commit on their hedging position, this can never be an equilibriumoutcome: committing is always a best response to non committing. In the Hotelling model, committing is a dominant strategy for all rms.
|Date of creation:||14 Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in International Journal of Industrial Organization, vol.�37, novembre 2014, p.�153-169.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (+33) 5 61 12 86 23|
Web page: http://www.tse-fr.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Villeneuve, Stéphane, 2004.
"Liquidity Risk and Corporate Demand for Hedging and Insurance,"
IDEI Working Papers
254, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Villeneuve, Stéphane, 2004. "Liquidity Risk and Corporate Demand for Hedging and Insurance," CEPR Discussion Papers 4755, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Décamps, Jean-Paul & Mariotti, Thomas & Rochet, Jean-Charles & Villeneuve, Stéphane, 2008. "Free Cash-Flow, Issuance Costs and Stock Price Volatility," IDEI Working Papers 518, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Dionne, Georges & Santugini, Marc, 2014.
"Entry, imperfect competition, and futures market for the input,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 70-83.
- Georges Dionne & Marc Santugini, 2012. "Entry, Imperfect Competition, and Futures Market for the Input," Cahiers de recherche 1215, CIRPEE.
- Guillaume Plantin & Bruno Biais & Thomas Mariotti & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2004.
"Dynamic Security Design,"
GSIA Working Papers
2005-E5, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Bruno Biais & Thomas Mariotti & Guillaume Plantin & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2007.
"Dynamic Security Design: Convergence to Continuous Time and Asset Pricing Implications,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 74(2), pages 345-390.
- Biais, Bruno & Mariotti, Thomas & Plantin, Guillaume & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2004. "Dynamic Security Design: Convergence to Continuous Time and Asset Pricing Implications," IDEI Working Papers 312, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Sep 2006.
- Yanbo Jin & Philippe Jorion, 2006. "Firm Value and Hedging: Evidence from U.S. Oil and Gas Producers," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(2), pages 893-919, 04.
- Neng Wang & Hui Chen & Patrick Bolton, 2010.
"A unified theory of Tobin's q, corporate investment, financing, and risk management,"
2010 Meeting Papers
609, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Patrick Bolton & Hui Chen & Neng Wang, 2011. "A Unified Theory of Tobin's q, Corporate Investment, Financing, and Risk Management," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(5), pages 1545-1578, October.
- Patrick Bolton & Hui Chen & Neng Wang, 2009. "A Unified Theory of Tobin's q, Corporate Investment, Financing, and Risk Management," NBER Working Papers 14845, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frederic Loss, 2002.
"Optimal Hedging Strategies and Interactions between Firms,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp399, Financial Markets Group.
- Frederic Loss, 2012. "Optimal Hedging Strategies and Interactions between Firms," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 79-129, 03.
- Loss, Frédéric, 2012. "Optimal Hedging Strategies and Interactions between Firms," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/12110, Paris Dauphine University.
- Frederic Loss, 2002. "Optimal hedging strategies and interactions between firms," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24903, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Kristopher S. Gerardi & Adam Hale Shapiro, 2009. "Does Competition Reduce Price Dispersion? New Evidence from the Airline Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 117(1), pages 1-37, 02.
- PETER M. DeMARZO & YULIY SANNIKOV, 2006. "Optimal Security Design and Dynamic Capital Structure in a Continuous-Time Agency Model," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(6), pages 2681-2724, December.
- Gordon M. Bodnar & Bernard Dumas & Richard C. Marston, 2002.
"Pass-through and Exposure,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 199-231, 02.
- Bodnar, Gordon M. & Dumas, Bernard & Marston, Richard C., 2000. "Pass-through and Exposure," Working Papers 00-4, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Bodnar, G.M. & Dumas, B. & Marston, R.C., 1998. "Pass-Through and Exposure," Weiss Center Working Papers 98-01, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Tim Adam & Sudipto Dasgupta & Sheridan Titman, 2007. "Financial Constraints, Competition, and Hedging in Industry Equilibrium," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(5), pages 2445-2473, October.
- Ian Sheldon & Richard Sperling, 2003. "Estimating the Extent of Imperfect Competition in the Food Industry: What Have We Learned?," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 89-109.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tse:wpaper:27644. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.