Inventories and Endogenous Stackelberg Leadership in Two-period Cournot Oligopoly
Two-period Cournot competition between n identical firms producing at constant marginal cost and able to store before selling has pure strategy Nash- perfect equilibria, in which some firms store to exert endogenously a leader- ship over rivals. The number of firms storing balances market share gains, obtained by accumulating early the output, with losses in margin resulting from increased competition and higher operation costs. This number and the industry inventories are non monotonic in n. Concentration (HHI) and competition increase due to the strategic use of inventories.
|Date of creation:||27 Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (+33) 5 61 12 86 23|
Web page: http://www.tse-fr.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van Damme, E.E.C. & Hurkens, J.P.M., 1994.
"Games with imperfectly observable commitment,"
1994-64, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Boyer, Marcel & Moreaux, Michel, 1985.
"L’équilibre concurrentiel comme limite de suites d’équilibres stratégiques de Stackelberg,"
Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 61(3), pages 299-315, septembre.
- Boyer, M. & Moreaux, M., 1985. "L'equilibre Concurrentiel Comme Limite de Suites D'equilibres Strategiques de Stackelberg," Cahiers de recherche 8527, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Bamon, Rodrigo & Fraysse, Jean, 1985. "Existence of Cournot Equilibrium in Large Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(3), pages 587-97, May.
- Stephen W. Salant & Sheldon Switzer & Robert J. Reynolds, 1983. "Losses From Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-199.
- Kirman, Alan P & Sobel, Matthew J, 1974. "Dynamic Oligopoly with Inventories," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(2), pages 279-87, March.
- Mahenc, P. & Salanie, F., 2004. "Softening competition through forward trading," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 282-293, June.
- Matti Liski & Juan-Pablo Montero, 2004.
"Forward trading and collusion in oligopoly,"
0412, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Pal, Debashis, 1991. "Cournot duopoly with two production periods and cost differentials," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 441-448, December.
- Saloner, Garth, 1987. "Cournot duopoly with two production periods," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 183-187, June.
- Amihud, Yakov & Medenelson, Haim, 1989. "Inventory behaviour and market power: An empirical investigation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 269-280, June.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1980.
"The Role of Investment in Entry-Deterrence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(357), pages 95-106, March.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1979. "The Role of Investment in Entry-Deterrence," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 140, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Spulber, Daniel F, 1981. "Capacity, Output, and Sequential Entry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 503-14, June.
- Larry Arvan, 1985. "Some Examples of Dynamic Cournot Duopoly with Inventory," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(4), pages 569-578, Winter.
- Robson, Arthur J, 1990. "Stackelberg and Marshall," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(1), pages 69-82, March.
- Boyer, Marcel & Moreaux, Michel, 1986. "Perfect competition as the limit of a hierarchical market game," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 22(2-3), pages 115-118.
- Novshek, William, 1984. "Finding All n-Firm Cournot Equilibria," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(1), pages 61-70, February.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1982.
"The Production and Inventory Behavior of the American Automobile Industry,"
NBER Working Papers
0891, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1983. "The Production and Inventory Behavior of the American Automobile Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 365-400, June.
- Paul Klemperer & Margaret Meyer, 1986. "Price Competition vs. Quantity Competition: The Role of Uncertainty," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(4), pages 618-638, Winter.
- Ware, Roger, 1985. "Inventory Holding as a Strategic Weapon to Deter Entry," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 52(205), pages 93-101, February.
- Thille, Henry, 2006. "Inventories, market structure, and price volatility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1081-1104, July.
- Romano, Richard & Yildirim, Huseyin, 2005. "On the endogeneity of Cournot-Nash and Stackelberg equilibria: games of accumulation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 73-107, January.
- Thille, Henry, 2003. "Forward trading and storage in a Cournot duopoly," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 651-665, February.
- Ware, Roger, 1984. "Sunk Costs and Strategic Commitment: A Proposed Three-Stage Equilibrium," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(374), pages 370-78, June.
- Pal, Debashis, 1996. "Endogenous Stackelberg Equilibria with Identical Firms," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 81-94, January.
- Henry Thille & Margaret E. Slade, 2000. "Forward trading and adjustment costs in Cournot markets," Cahiers d'Économie Politique, Programme National Persée, vol. 37(1), pages 177-195.
- Arvan, Lanny & Moses, Leon N, 1982. "Inventory Investment and the Theory of the Firm," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 186-93, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tse:wpaper:24803. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.