Forward Trading in Exhaustible-Resource Oligopoly
We analyze oligopolistic exhaustible-resource depletion when firms can trade forward contracts on deliveries, a market structure prevalent in many resource commodity markets. We find that this organization of trade has substantial implications for resource depletion. As firms’ interactions become infinitely frequent, resource stocks become fully contracted and the symmetric oligopolistic equilibrium converges to the perfectly competitive Hotelling (1931) outcome. Asymmetries in stock holdings allow firms to partially escape the procompetitive effect of contracting: a large stock provides commitment to leave a fraction of the stock uncontracted. In contrast, a small stock provides commitment to sell early, during the most profitable part of the equilibrium.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (562) 354-4303
Fax: (562) 553-1664
Web page: http://www.economia.puc.cl
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Green, Richard, 1999. "The Electricity Contract Market in England and Wales," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 107-24, March.
- GAUDET, Gérard & MOREAUX, Michel & SALANT, Stephen W., 1997.
"Private Storage of Common Property,"
Cahiers de recherche
9704, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Andrew Sweeting, 2007.
"Market Power In The England And Wales Wholesale Electricity Market 1995-2000,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(520), pages 654-685, 04.
- Sweeting, A., 2004. "Market Power in the England and Wales Wholesale Electricity Market 1995-2000," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0455, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Matti Liski & Juan-Pablo Montero, 2004.
"Forward trading and collusion in oligopoly,"
0412, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Polasky, Stephen, 1992. "Do oil producers act as 'Oil'igopolists?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 216-247, November.
- Lewis, Tracy R & Schmalensee, Richard, 1980.
"On Oligopolistic Markets for Nonrenewable Natural Resources,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 95(3), pages 475-91, November.
- Lewis, Tracy R. & Schmalensee, Richard., 1979. "On oligopolistic markets for nonrenewable natural resources," Working papers 1052-79., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Salo, Seppo & Tahvonen, Olli, 2001. "Oligopoly equilibria in nonrenewable resource markets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 671-702, May.
- Mahenc, P. & Salanie, F., 2004. "Softening competition through forward trading," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 282-293, June.
- Jeffrey A. Krautkraemer, 1998. "Nonrenewable Resource Scarcity," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 2065-2107, December.
- Gérard Gaudet, 2007. "Natural resource economics under the rule of Hotelling," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1033-1059, November.
- Matti Liski & Juan-Pablo Montero, 2008.
"Market power in an exhaustible resource market: The case of storable pollution permits,"
Documentos de Trabajo
329, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Matti Liski & Juan‐Pablo Montero, 2011. "Market Power in an Exhaustible Resource Market: The Case of Storable Pollution Permits," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(551), pages 116-144, March.
- Fabra, Natalia & Toro, Juan, 2005.
"Price wars and collusion in the Spanish electricity market,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3-4), pages 155-181, April.
- Natalia Fabra & Juan Toro, 2001. "Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2001/05, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Natalia Fabra & Juan Toro, 2002. "Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market," Industrial Organization 0212001, EconWPA, revised 31 Aug 2003.
- James B. Bushnell & Erin T. Mansur & Celeste Saravia, 2008.
"Vertical Arrangements, Market Structure, and Competition: An Analysis of Restructured US Electricity Markets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 237-66, March.
- Bushnell, James & Mansur, Erin T. & Saravia, Celeste, 2008. "Vertical Arrangements, Market Structure and Competition: An Analysis of Restructured U.S. Electricity Markets," Staff General Research Papers 13130, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- James B. Bushnell & Erin T. Mansur & Celeste Saravia, 2007. "Vertical Arrangements, Market Structure, and Competition An Analysis of Restructured U.S. Electricity Markets," NBER Working Papers 13507, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kahn, Charles M, 1986. "The Durable Goods Monopolist and Consistency with Increasing Costs," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(2), pages 275-94, March.
- Dudey, Marc, 1992. "Dynamic Edgeworth-Bertrand Competition," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(4), pages 1461-77, November.
- Saloner, Garth, 1987. "Cournot duopoly with two production periods," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 183-187, June.
- Ilya Segal, 1999. "Contracting With Externalities," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(2), pages 337-388, May.
- Faruk Gul, 1987. "Noncooperative Collusion in Durable Goods Oligopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 18(2), pages 248-254, Summer.
- A. Denny Ellerman & Juan-Pablo Montero, 2005.
"The Efficiency and Robustness of Allowance Banking in the U.S. Acid Rain Program,"
0505, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- A. Denny Ellerman & Juan-Pablo Montero, 2007. "The Efficiency and Robustness of Allowance Banking in the U.S. Acid Rain Program," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 47-72.
- Frank A. Wolak, 2007. "Quantifying the supply-side benefits from forward contracting in wholesale electricity markets," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 1179-1209.
- Salant, Stephen W, 1976. "Exhaustible Resources and Industrial Structure: A Nash-Cournot Approach to the World Oil Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(5), pages 1079-93, October.
- James Anton & Gary Biglaiser & Nikolaos Vettas, 2012. "Dynamic Price Competition with Capacity Constraints and a Strategic Buyer," Working Papers 12-20, Duke University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ioe:doctra:341. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jaime Casassus)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.