Markets with Technological Progress: Pricing, Quality, and Novelty
New and old products differ in two respects: quality and newness. Whereas a higher quality of a new product always benefits consumers, the newness itself benefits some consumers, but not others, and for some, it is even a disadvantage. We capture these features in a Hotelling model of OverLapping Innovators (HOLI model), entailing a sequence of static Hotelling games of horizontal product differentiation (newness), that we extend by vertical product differentiation (quality). In this model, the firms compete on quality and price. Using advanced dynamic hedonic regression methods, we empirically investigate the pricing policy of firms in the German laser printer market. We show that their pricing corresponds to our model with the seller of the new product acting as the Stackelberg follower.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (0) 651 201-2739
Fax: +49 (0) 651 201-3934
Web page: http://www.uni-trier.de/index.php?id=2118
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- IRMEN, Andreas & THISSE, Jacques-Francois, 1997.
"Competition in multi-characteristics spaces: hotelling was almost right,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1997053, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Irmen, Andreas & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1998. "Competition in Multi-characteristics Spaces: Hotelling Was Almost Right," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 76-102, January.
- Andreas IRMEN & Jean-François THISSE, 1996. "Competition in Multi-Characteristics Spaces: Hotelling Was Almost Right," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9613, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Irmen, Andreas & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1996. "Competition in Multi-characteristics Spaces: Hotelling was Almost Right," CEPR Discussion Papers 1446, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter M. Noble & Thomas S. Gruca, 1999. "Response to the Comments on “Industrial Pricing: Theory and Managerial Practice”," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(3), pages 458-459.
- Andrew F. Daughety & Jennifer F. Reinganum, 2008.
"Imperfect competition and quality signalling,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 39(1), pages 163-183.
- Andrew F. Daughety & Jennifer F. Reinganum, 2005. "Imperfect Competition and Quality Signaling," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0520, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Ludwig Auer, 2007. "Hedonic price measurement: the CCC approach," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 289-311, September.
- Triplett, Jack E, 1969. "Automobiles and Hedonic Quality Measurement," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(3), pages 408-17, May/June.
- Anderson, S., 1986.
"Spatial competition and price leadership,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1986002, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ariel Pakes, 2002.
"A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indices with an Application to PC's,"
NBER Working Papers
8715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ariel Pakes, 2003. "A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indexes with an Application to PC's," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(5), pages 1578-1596, December.
- L von Auer & M Trede, 2012.
"The dynamics of brand equity: a hedonic regression approach to the laser printer market,"
Journal of the Operational Research Society,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 63(10), pages 1351-1362, October.
- Ludwig von Auer & Mark Trede, 2010. "The Dynamics of Brand Equity: A Hedonic Regression Approach to the Laser Printer Market," Research Papers in Economics 2010-03, University of Trier, Department of Economics.
- Ludwig von Auer & Mark Trede, 2010. "The Dynamics of Brand Equity: A Hedonic Regression Approach to the Laser Printer Market," CQE Working Papers 1210, Center for Quantitative Economics (CQE), University of Muenster.
- Gabszewicz, Jean J. & Resende, Joana, 2012.
"Differentiated credence goods and price competition,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 277-287.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & RESENDE, Joana, . "Differentiated credence goods and price competition," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2461, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Peter M. Noble & Thomas S. Gruca, 1999. "Industrial Pricing: Theory and Managerial Practice," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(3), pages 435-454.
- Nelson, Randy A & Tanguay, Tim L & Patterson, Christopher D, 1994. "A Quality-Adjusted Price Index for Personal Computers," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(1), pages 23-31, January.
- Dan Levin & James Peck & Lixin Ye, 2009. "QUALITY DISCLOSURE AND COMPETITION -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 167-196, 03.
- Dos Santos Ferreira, Rodolphe & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1996. "Horizontal and vertical differentiation: The Launhardt model," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 485-506, June.
- Andrew F. Daughety & Jennifer F. Reinganum, 2004.
"Competition and Confidentiality: Signaling Quality in a Duopoly when there is Universal Private Information,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0417, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Daughety, Andrew F. & Reinganum, Jennifer F., 2007. "Competition and confidentiality: Signaling quality in a duopoly when there is universal private information," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 94-120, January.
- Deltas, George & Zacharias, Eleftherios, 2006. "Entry order and pricing over the product cycle: The transition from the 486 to the Pentium processor," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 1041-1069, September.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Neal J. Rappaport, 2001. "Price and Quality of Desktop and Mobile Personal Computers: A Quarter-Century Historical Overview," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 268-273, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:trr:wpaper:201405. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matthias Neuenkirch)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.