The Dynamics of Brand Equity: A Hedonic Regression Approach to the Laser Printer Market
The authors develop a dynamic approach to measuring the evolution of comparative brand premium, an important component of brand equity. A comparative brand premium is defined as the pairwise price difference between two products being identical in every respect but brand. The model is based on hedonic regressions and grounded in economic theory. In constrast to existing approaches, the authors explicitly take into account and model the dynamics of the brand premia. By exploiting the premia’s intertemporal dependence structure, the Bayesian estimation method produces more accurate estimators of the time paths of the brand premia than other methods. In addition, the authors present a novel yet straightforward way to construct confidence bands that cover the entire time series of brand premia with high probability. The data required for estimation are readily available, cheap, and observable on the market under investigation. The authors apply the dynamic hedonic regression to a large and detailed data set about laser printers gathered on a monthly basis over a four-year period. It transpires that, in general, the estimated brand premia change only gradually from period to period. Nevertheless the method can diagnose sudden downturns of a comparative brand premium. The authors’ dynamic hedonic regression approach facilitates the practical evaluation of brand management.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (0) 651 201-2739
Fax: +49 (0) 651 201-3934
Web page: http://www.uni-trier.de/index.php?id=2118
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Venkatesh Shankar & Pablo Azar & Matthew Fuller, 2008. "—: A Multicategory Brand Equity Model and Its Application at Allstate," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(4), pages 567-584, 07-08.
- Avi Goldfarb & Qiang Lu & Sridhar Moorthy, 2007.
"Measuring Brand Value in an Equilibrium Framework,"
Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports
099, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Srinivasan, V. "Seenu" & Park, Chan Su & Chang, Dae Ryun, 2005. "An Approach to the Measurement, Analysis, and Prediction of Brand Equity and Its Sources," Research Papers 1685r2, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Ludwig Auer, 2007. "Hedonic price measurement: the CCC approach," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 289-311, September.
- V. Srinivasan & Chan Su Park & Dae Ryun Chang, 2005. "An Approach to the Measurement, Analysis, and Prediction of Brand Equity and Its Sources," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(9), pages 1433-1448, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:trr:wpaper:201003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matthias Neuenkirch)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.