Bias and inefficiency in quality-adjusted hedonic regression analysis
Numerous quality-adjusted hedonic price-trend studies based on computer prices have provided support to widely held suspicions that officially released price indices are not accurately measuring the price declines occurring in many information technology (IT) products. If provable, then general price inflation is being overestimated and, consequently, real GDP is being underestimated. Existing evidence, however, is inconclusive. First, empirical findings for IT products other than computers are essentially non-existent and, secondly, estimation bias is inherent in the hedonic regression technique most commonly employed. This article presents an unbiased method together with an estimated quality-adjusted price trend for laser printers (1993-2004).
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 39 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- E. Zacharias & T. Stengos, 2006.
"Intertemporal pricing and price discrimination: a semiparametric hedonic analysis of the personal computer market,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(3), pages 371-386.
- Thanasis Stengos & Eleftherios Zaharias, 2002. "Intertemporal Pricing and Price Discrimination: A Semiparametric Hedonic Analysis of the Personal Computer Market," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 0211, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Stengos, T. & Zacharias, E., 2003. "Intertemporal Pricing and Price Discrimination: A Semiparametric Hedonic Analysis of the Personal Computer Market," Working Papers 2003-9, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Zvi Griliches, 1993. "Price Indexes for Microcomputers: An Exploratory Study," NBER Chapters, in: Price Measurements and Their Uses, pages 63-100 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Zvi Griliches, 1990. "Price Indexes for Microcomputers: An Exploratory Study," NBER Working Papers 3378, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.