Some Properties of the LIML Estimator in a Dynamic Panel Structural Equation
We investigate the finite sample and asymptotic properties of several estimation methods (Within-Group, GMM and LIML) for a panel autoregressive structural equation model with random effects when both T and N are large. When we use the forward-filtering to a structural model as Alvarez and Arellano (2003), both the WG and GMM estimators are significantly biased when both T and N go to infinity while T/N is different from zero. The LIML (limited information maximum likelihood) estimator has consistency and the asymptotic normality when T/N converges to a constant as both T and N go to infinity. Its asymptotic distribution has some bias and covariance which depend on the limiting behavior of T/N.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033|
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, T.W. & Kunitomo, Naoto & Matsushita, Yukitoshi, 2010. "On the asymptotic optimality of the LIML estimator with possibly many instruments," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 191-204, August.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Kentaro Akashi & Naoto Kunitomo, 2010. "The Limited Information Maximum Likelihood Approach to Dynamic Panel Structural Equations," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-708, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- T. W. Anderson & Naoto Kunitomo & Yukitoshi Matsushita, 2008. "On the Asymptotic Optimality of the LIML Estimator with Possibly Many Instruments," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-542, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Arellano, Manuel, 2003. "Panel Data Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199245291, December.
- Anderson, T W & Kunitomo, Naoto & Sawa, Takamitsu, 1982. "Evaluation of the Distribution Function of the Limited Information Maximum Likelihood Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1009-1027, July.
- Manuel Arellano, 2003. "Modelling Optimal Instrumental Variables For Dynamic Panel Data Models," Working Papers wp2003_0310, CEMFI.
- Akashi, Kentaro & Kunitomo, Naoto, 2012.
"Some properties of the LIML estimator in a dynamic panel structural equation,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 166(2), pages 167-183.
- Kentaro Akashi & Naoto Kunitomo, 2010. "Some Properties of the LIML Estimator in a Dynamic Panel Structural Equation," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-707, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- T. W. Anderson & Naoto Kunitomo & Yukitoshi Matsushita, 2006. "A New Light from Old Wisdoms : Alternative Estimation Methods of Simultaneous Equations with Possibly Many Instruments," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-399, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- T. W. Anderson & Naoto Kunitomo & Yukitoshi Matsushita, 2008. "On Finite Sample Properties of Alternative Estimators of Coefficients in a Structural Equation with Many Instruments," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-577, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Javier Alvarez & Manuel Arellano, 2003.
"The Time Series and Cross-Section Asymptotics of Dynamic Panel Data Estimators,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1121-1159, 07.
- Alvarez, J. & Arellano, M., 1998. "The Time Series and Cross-Section Asymptotics of Dynamic Panel Data Estimators," Papers 9808, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1999.
"GMM estimation with persistent panel data: an application to production functions,"
IFS Working Papers
W99/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Stephen Bond, 2000. "GMM Estimation with persistent panel data: an application to production functions," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 321-340.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2010cf707. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.