Iterative Bias Correction Procedures Revisited: A Small Scale Monte Carlo Study
This paper considers estimation of general panel data models subject to the incidental parameter problem of Neyman and Scott (1948). Our main focus is on the finite sample behavior of analytical bias corrected Maximum Likelihood estimators as discussed in Hahn and Kuersteiner (2002), Hahn and Newey (2004) and Hahn and Kuersteiner (2011). As it is mentioned in Hahn and Newey (2004) and Arellano and Hahn (2006), in principle it is possible to iterate the bias formula to obtain an estimator that might have better finite sample properties than the one step estimator. In this paper we will investigate merits and limitations of iterative bias correction procedures in finite samples, by considering three examples: Panel AR(1), Panel VAR(1) and Static Panel Probit.
|Date of creation:||09 Oct 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dept. of Econometrics, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Valckenierstraat 65, NL - 1018 XE Amsterdam, The Netherlands|
Web page: http://www.ase.uva.nl/uva-econometrics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geert Dhaene & Koen Jochmans, 2015.
"Split-panel Jackknife Estimation of Fixed-effect Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 82(3), pages 991-1030.
- DHAENE, Geert & JOCHMANS, Koen, 2010. "Split-panel jackknife estimation of fixed-effect models," CORE Discussion Papers 2010003, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Geert Dhaene & Koen Jochmans, 2014. "Split-Panel Jackknife Estimation of Fixed-Effect Models," Sciences Po publications 2014-03, Sciences Po.
- Geert Dhaene & Koen Jochmans, 2014. "Split-Panel Jackknife Estimation of Fixed-Effect Models," Sciences Po Economics Discussion Papers 2014-03, Sciences Po Departement of Economics.
- Geert Dhaene & Koen Jochmans, 2014. "Split-Panel Jackknife Estimation of Fixed-Effect Models," Working Papers hal-01070553, HAL.
- Geert Dhaene & Koen Jochmans, 2010. "Split-panel jackknife estimation of fixed-effect models," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/eu4vqp9ompq, Sciences Po.
- Binder, Michael & Hsiao, Cheng & Pesaran, M. Hashem, 2005. "Estimation And Inference In Short Panel Vector Autoregressions With Unit Roots And Cointegration," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(04), pages 795-837, August.
- Michael Binder & Cheng Hsiao & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2000. "Estimation and Inference in Short Panel Vector Autoregressions with Unit Roots and Cointegration," Working Papers 0005, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Michael Binder, Cheng Hsiao, and M. Hashem Pesaran, 2001. "Estimation and Inference in Short Panel Vector Autoregressions with Unit Roots and Cointegration," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 36, Society for Computational Economics.
- Michael Binder & Cheng Hsiao & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2000. "Estimation and Inference In Short Panel Vector Autoregressions with Unit Roots And Cointegration," CESifo Working Paper Series 374, CESifo Group Munich.
- Binder, M. & Hsaio, C. & Pesaran, M.H., 2000. "Estimation and Inference in Short Panel Vector Autoregressions with Unit Roots and Cointegration," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0003, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Maurice J.G. Bun & Martin A. Carree & Arturas Juodis, 2014. "On Maximum Likelihood estimation of dynamic panel data models," UvA-Econometrics Working Papers 14-04, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Dept. of Econometrics.
- Akashi, Kentaro & Kunitomo, Naoto, 2012. "Some properties of the LIML estimator in a dynamic panel structural equation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 166(2), pages 167-183.
- Kentaro Akashi & Naoto Kunitomo, 2010. "Some Properties of the LIML Estimator in a Dynamic Panel Structural Equation," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-707, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Arturas Juodis, 2013. "First Difference Transformation in Panel VAR models: Robustness, Estimation and Inference," UvA-Econometrics Working Papers 13-06, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Dept. of Econometrics.
- Kiviet, Jan F., 1995. "On bias, inconsistency, and efficiency of various estimators in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 53-78, July.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "LSDVC: RATS procedure to estimate a dynamic FE model with correction for bias," Statistical Software Components RTS00111, Boston College Department of Economics.
- William Greene, 2004. "The behaviour of the maximum likelihood estimator of limited dependent variable models in the presence of fixed effects," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(1), pages 98-119, 06.
- Kruiniger, Hugo, 2013. "Quasi ML estimation of the panel AR(1) model with arbitrary initial conditions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 173(2), pages 175-188.
- Hugo Kruiniger, 2006. "Quasi ML Estimation of the Panel AR(1) Model with Arbitrary Initial Conditions," Working Papers 582, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ame:wpaper:1502. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Noud P.A. van Giersbergen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.