Some properties of the LIML estimator in a dynamic panel structural equation
We investigate the finite sample and asymptotic properties of the within-groups (WG), the random-effects quasi-maximum likelihood (RQML), the generalized method of moment (GMM) and the limited information maximum likelihood (LIML) estimators for a panel autoregressive structural equation model with random effects when both T (time-dimension) and N (cross-section dimension) are large. When we use the forward-filtering due to Alvarez and Arellano (2003), the WG, the RQML and GMM estimators are significantly biased when both T and N are large while T/N is different from zero. The LIML estimator gives desirable asymptotic properties when T/N converges to a constant.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Anderson, T.W. & Kunitomo, Naoto & Matsushita, Yukitoshi, 2010. "On the asymptotic optimality of the LIML estimator with possibly many instruments," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 191-204, August.
- T. W. Anderson & Naoto Kunitomo & Yukitoshi Matsushita, 2008. "On Finite Sample Properties of Alternative Estimators of Coefficients in a Structural Equation with Many Instruments," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-577, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Richard Blundell & Stephen Bond, 2000.
"GMM Estimation with persistent panel data: an application to production functions,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 321-340.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1999. "GMM estimation with persistent panel data: an application to production functions," IFS Working Papers W99/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Kentaro Akashi & Naoto Kunitomo, 2010.
"Some Properties of the LIML Estimator in a Dynamic Panel Structural Equation,"
CIRJE-F-707, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Akashi, Kentaro & Kunitomo, Naoto, 2012. "Some properties of the LIML estimator in a dynamic panel structural equation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 166(2), pages 167-183.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Arellano, Manuel, 2003. "Panel Data Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199245291, May.
- Alvarez, J. & Arellano, M., 1998.
"The Time Series and Cross-Section Asymptotics of Dynamic Panel Data Estimators,"
9808, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Javier Alvarez & Manuel Arellano, 2003. "The Time Series and Cross-Section Asymptotics of Dynamic Panel Data Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1121-1159, 07.
- Anderson, T W & Kunitomo, Naoto & Sawa, Takamitsu, 1982. "Evaluation of the Distribution Function of the Limited Information Maximum Likelihood Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1009-27, July.
- T. W. Anderson & Naoto Kunitomo & Yukitoshi Matsushita, 2008. "On the Asymptotic Optimality of the LIML Estimator with Possibly Many Instruments," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-542, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Kentaro Akashi & Naoto Kunitomo, 2010. "The Limited Information Maximum Likelihood Approach to Dynamic Panel Structural Equations," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-708, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- T. W. Anderson & Naoto Kunitomo & Yukitoshi Matsushita, 2006. "A New Light from Old Wisdoms : Alternative Estimation Methods of Simultaneous Equations with Possibly Many Instruments," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-399, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Manuel Arellano, 2003. "Modelling Optimal Instrumental Variables For Dynamic Panel Data Models," Working Papers wp2003_0310, CEMFI.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:166:y:2012:i:2:p:167-183. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.