A Model of Keynesian under Knightian Uncertainty
The purpose of this paper is to explore a source of nominal price rigidity and non-neutrality of money in a model of monopolistic competition under Knightian uncertainty. The decision-making theory in the analysis is that of expected utility under a nonadditive probability measure, that is, the Choquet expected utility model of preference. We apply this decision theory to a model of monopolistic competition without fixed cost of price adjustment. We show that when aversion to Knightian uncertainty exists, nominal price becomes rigid in a model of monopolistic competition. The model therefore has a Keynesian feature that nominal disturbances, particularly anticipated changes of money supply, have real effects on aggregate output fluctuations. The feature holds even if aversion to Knightian uncertainty is very small.
|Date of creation:||May 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerd Weinrich, 1997. "Endogenous fixprices and sticky price adjustment of risk-averse firms," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 66(3), pages 283-305, October.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:110:y:1995:i:1:p:245-74 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:100:y:1985:i:2:p:529-38 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gilboa, Itzhak & Schmeidler, David, 1989.
"Maxmin expected utility with non-unique prior,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 141-153, April.
- Gilboa, Itzhak, 1987. "Expected utility with purely subjective non-additive probabilities," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 65-88, February.
- Camerer, Colin & Weber, Martin, 1992. " Recent Developments in Modeling Preferences: Uncertainty and Ambiguity," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 325-70, October.
- Ozaki, Hiroyuki & Streufert, Peter A., 1996. "Dynamic programming for non-additive stochastic objectives," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 391-442.
- Joshua Aizenman, 1995.
"Investment in New Activities and the Welfare Cost of Uncertainty,"
NBER Working Papers
5041, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aizenman, Joshua, 1997. "Investment in new activities and the welfare cost of uncertainty," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 259-277, April.
- Schmeidler, David, 1989.
"Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 571-87, May.
- David Schmeidler, 1989. "Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7662, David K. Levine.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2001cf115. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.