Pricing currency risk in the stock market: Empirical evidence from Finland and Sweden 1970-2009
We investigate the role of currency risk on stock markets in two interlinked Nordic countries exhibiting a gradual move from fixed to floating exchange rates. We apply the Ding and Engle (2001) covariance stationary specification in a multivariate GARCH-M setup to test a conditional international asset pricing model. Using a sample period from 1970 to 2009, we find that the currency risk is priced in both stock markets as well as the price to be lower after the flotation of the currencies. We also find the cross-country exchange rate shock from Finland to affect the price of currency risk in Sweden, but not vice versa. Finally, we discuss some of the potential issues in applying multivariate GARCH-M specifications in tests of asset pricing models.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rehtorinpellonkatu 3, FIN-20500 TURKU|
Phone: +358 2 333 51
Web page: http://ace-economics.fi
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lanne, Markku & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2006. "Why is it so difficult to uncover the risk-return tradeoff in stock returns?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 118-125, July.
- David G. Barr & Richard Priestley, "undated".
"Expected Returns, Risk, and the Integration of International Bond Markets,"
Economics and Finance Discussion Papers
97-01, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Barr, David G. & Priestley, Richard, 2004. "Expected returns, risk and the integration of international bond markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 71-97, February.
- David Barr & Richard Priestley, "undated". "Expected returns, risk and the integration of international bond markets," CERF Discussion Paper Series 97-04, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993.
" On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993. "On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks," Staff Report 157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Geert Bekaert & Guojun Wu, 1997.
"Asymmetric Volatility and Risk in Equity Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
6022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Nyberg, Peter & Vaihekoski, Mika, 2010.
"A new value-weighted total return index for the Finnish stock market,"
Research in International Business and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 267-283, September.
- Nyberg, Peter & Vaihekoski, Mika, 2009. "A new value-weighted total return index for the Finnish stock market," Research Discussion Papers 21/2009, Bank of Finland.
- Harvey, Campbell R, 1995.
"Predictable Risk and Returns in Emerging Markets,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(3), pages 773-816.
- Ferson, Wayne E & Harvey, Campbell R, 1993. "The Risk and Predictability of International Equity Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(3), pages 527-566.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-131, February.
- Sheppard, Kevin & Cappiello, Lorenzo & Engle, Robert F., 2003.
"Asymmetric dynamics in the correlations of global equity and bond returns,"
Working Paper Series
0204, European Central Bank.
- Lorenzo Cappiello & Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2006. "Asymmetric Dynamics in the Correlations of Global Equity and Bond Returns," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(4), pages 537-572.
- Gerard, Bruno & Thanyalakpark, Kessara & Batten, Jonathan A., 2003. "Are the East Asian markets integrated? Evidence from the ICAPM," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(5-6), pages 585-607.
- Antell, Jan & Vaihekoski, Mika, 2007. "International asset pricing models and currency risk: Evidence from Finland 1970-2004," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2571-2590, September.
- De Santis, Giorgio & Gerard, Bruno, 1998. "How big is the premium for currency risk?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 375-412, September.
- De Santis, Giorgio & Gerard, Bruno & Hillion, Pierre, 2003. "The relevance of currency risk in the EMU," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(5-6), pages 427-462.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tkk:dpaper:dp63. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aleksandra Maslowska)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.