Time-varying global and local sources of market and currency risks in Russian stock market
In this paper we study international asset pricing models and the pricing of global and local market risks as well as currency risk in the Russian stock market from an international investors' point of view using weekly data from 1999 to 2009. In our empirical specification, we utilize the multivariate GARCH-M framework of De Santis and Gérard (1998). We find currency risk to be priced in the Russian market. The price of currency risk is found to be time-varying and affected for example by the price of oil. Moreover, our results suggest that the Russian market is partially segmented and the local market risk is priced in the market. Our model implies in-sample risk premium for the Russian equity market that is, on average, almost ten times higher than that of the US and that the Russian risk premium is on average caused mostly by the local and currency risk components.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geert Bekaert & Robert J. Hodrick, 1991.
"Characterizing Predictable Components in Excess Returns on Equity and Foreign Exchange Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
3790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bekaert, Geert & Hodrick, Robert J, 1992. " Characterizing Predictable Components in Excess Returns on Equity and Foreign Exchange Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 467-509, June.
- Harvey, Campbell R, 1995.
"Predictable Risk and Returns in Emerging Markets,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(3), pages 773-816.
- Durbin, Erik & Ng, David, 2005.
"The sovereign ceiling and emerging market corporate bond spreads,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 631-649, June.
- Durbin, Erik & Ng, David T.C., 2002. "The Sovereign Ceiling and Emerging Market Corporate Bond Spreads," Working Papers 127286, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Ramaprasad Bhar & Biljana Nikolova, 2009. "Oil Prices and Equity Returns in the BRIC Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(7), pages 1036-1054, 07.
- Bailey, Warren & Chung, Y. Peter, 1995. "Exchange Rate Fluctuations, Political Risk, and Stock Returns: Some Evidence from an Emerging Market," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(04), pages 541-561, December.
- Elena Fedorova & Mika Vaihekoski, 2009.
"Global and Local Sources of Risk in Eastern European Emerging Stock Markets,"
Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver),
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 59(1), pages 2-19, January.
- Fedorova, Elena & Vaihekoski, Mika, 2008. "Global and local sources of risk in Eastern European emerging stock markets," BOFIT Discussion Papers 27/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Kim Nummelin & Mika Vaihekoski, 2002. "World capital markets and Finnish stock returns," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 322-343.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1991. "The Pricing of Exchange Rate Risk in the Stock Market," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(03), pages 363-376, September.
- Fedorov, Pavel & Sarkissian, Sergei, 2000. "Cross-sectional variations in the degree of global integration: the case of Russian equities," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 131-150, June.
- Saleem, Kashif & Vaihekoski, Mika, 2008. "Pricing of global and local sources of risk in Russian stock market," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 40-56, March.
- Chaieb, Ines & Errunza, Vihang, 2007. "International asset pricing under segmentation and PPP deviations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 543-578, November.
- De Santis, Giorgio & Gerard, Bruno, 1998. "How big is the premium for currency risk?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 375-412, September.
- Phylaktis, Kate & Ravazzolo, Fabiola, 2004. "Currency risk in emerging equity markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 317-339, September.
- Carrieri, Francesca & Errunza, Vihang & Majerbi, Basma, 2006. "Local risk factors in emerging markets: Are they separately priced?," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4-5), pages 444-461, October.
- Adnan Kasman, 2009. "The impact of sudden changes on the persistence of volatility: evidence from the BRIC countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(7), pages 759-764.
- Fang, WenShwo & Lai, YiHao & Thompson, Henry, 2007. "Exchange rates, exchange risk, and Asian export revenue," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 237-254.
- de Jong, Frank & de Roon, Frans A., 2005.
"Time-varying market integration and expected returns in emerging markets,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 78(3), pages 583-613, December.
- de Jong, Frank & de Roon, Frans, 2001. "Time-Varying Market Integration and Expected Returns in Emerging Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 3102, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- de Jong, F.C.J.M. & de Roon, F.A., 2001. "Time Varying Market Integration and Expected Rteurns in Emerging Markets," Discussion Paper 2001-78, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Alexei Goriaev & Alexei Zabotkin, 2006.
"Risks of investing in the Russian stock market: Lessons of the first decade,"
w0077, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Goriaev, Alexei & Zabotkin, Alexei, 2006. "Risks of investing in the Russian stock market: Lessons of the first decade," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 380-397, December.
- Pan, Ming-Shiun & Fok, Robert Chi-Wing & Liu, Y. Angela, 2007. "Dynamic linkages between exchange rates and stock prices: Evidence from East Asian markets," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 503-520.
- Ferson, Wayne E & Harvey, Campbell R, 1993. "The Risk and Predictability of International Equity Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(3), pages 527-66.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reveco:v:19:y:2010:i:4:p:686-697. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.