Nearly-complete Decomposability and Stochastic Stability with an Application to Cournot Oligopoly
This paper presents a general framework for analysing stochastic stability in models with evolution at two levels. Under certain conditions the theory of nearly-complete decomposability can be used to disentangle these two levels. They can then be studied separately and the equilibrium of one can be used to obtain the equilibrium of the other. This gives an approximation of the equi- librium of the combined dynamics. This approached is applied to a model of conjectural variation and imitation in Cournot oligopoly. If behavioural change takes place infrequently, the Walrasian equilibrium is the unique stochastically stable outcome. As a corollary, it is indicated that smaller industries are more competitive than larger ones.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+ 353 1) 6081325
Web page: http://www.tcd.ie/Economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fudenberg, Drew & Levine, David, 1998.
"Learning in games,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3-5), pages 631-639, May.
- Schipper, Burkhard C., 2005.
"Imitators and Optimizers in Cournot Oligopoly,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
53, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Fernando Vega-Redondo, 1997.
"The Evolution of Walrasian Behavior,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(2), pages 375-384, March.
- Ana B. Ania & Carlos Alós-Ferrer & Klaus R. Schenk-Hoppé, 1998.
"- An Evolutionary Model Of Bertrand Oligopoly,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
1998-14, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Oligopoly Pricing: Old Ideas and New Tools," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026272040x, June.
- Possajennikov, Alex, 2000. "On the evolutionary stability of altruistic and spiteful preferences," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 125-129, May.
- Young, H Peyton, 1993. "The Evolution of Conventions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 57-84, January.
- Carlos Alós-Ferrer, 2001.
"Cournot versus Walras in Dynamic Oligopolies with Memory,"
Vienna Economics Papers
0110, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Alos-Ferrer, Carlos, 2004. "Cournot versus Walras in dynamic oligopolies with memory," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 193-217, February.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1991. "Adaptive and sophisticated learning in normal form games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 82-100, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcd:tcduee:tep6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Hughes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.