Inside a bubble and crash: Evidence from the valuation of amenities
Housing markets and their cycles are central to understanding macroeconomic fl uctuations. As housing is an inherently spatial market, an understanding of the economics of location-specific amenities is needed. This paper examines this topic, using a rich dataset of 25 primary location-specific characteristics and over 1.2 million sales and rental listings in Ireland, from the peak of a real estate bubble in 2006 to 2012 when prices had fallen by more than half. It finds clear evidence that the price effects of amenities are greater than rent effects, something that may be explained by either tenant search thresholds or buyers' desire to "lock in" access to fixed-supply amenities. Buyer lock-in concerns would be most prevalent at the height of a bubble and thus would be associated with pro-cyclical amenity pricing. Instead there is signi cant evidence that the relative price of amenities is counter-cyclical. This suggests the Irish housing market bubble was characterized by "property ladder" effects, rather than "lock-in" concerns.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Trinity College, Dublin 2|
Phone: (+ 353 1) 6081325
Web page: http://www.tcd.ie/Economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karl E. Case & Christopher J. Mayer, 1995.
"Housing Price Dynamics Within a Metropolitan Area,"
NBER Working Papers
5182, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Denis Conniffe & David Duffy, 1999.
"Irish House Price Indices — Methodological Issues,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 30(4), pages 403-423.
- Mayor, Karen & Lyons, Seán & Duffy, David & Tol, Richard S. J., 2009. "A Hedonic Analysis of the Value of Parks and Green Spaces in the Dublin Area," Papers WP331, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-419, June.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Vives, Xavier, 2002.
"Coordination Failures and the Lender of Last Resort: Was Bagehot Right After All?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3233, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Xavier Vives, 2004. "Coordination Failures and the Lender of Last Resort: Was Bagehot Right After All?," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 2(6), pages 1116-1147, December.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Xavier Vives, 2002. "Coordination failures and the lender of last resort: was Bagehot right after all?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24928, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Vives, Xavier, 2002. "Coordination failures and the lender of last resort : was Bagehot right after all?," HWWA Discussion Papers 184, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Xavier Vives, 2002. "Coordination Failures and the Lender of Last Resort: Was Bagehot Right After All?," FMG Discussion Papers dp408, Financial Markets Group.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Vives, Xavier, 2004. "Coordination Failures and the Lender of Last Resort : Was Bagehot Right After All?," IDEI Working Papers 294, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009.
"This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly,"
Princeton University Press,
edition 1, number 8973.
- Barton A. Smith & William P. Tesarek, 1991. "House Prices and Regional Real Estate Cycles: Market Adjustments in Houston," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 396-416.
- Karen Mayor & Seán Lyons & David Duffy & Richard S. J. Tol, 2012.
"A Hedonic Analysis of the Value of Rail Transport in the Greater Dublin Area,"
Journal of Transport Economics and Policy,
University of Bath, vol. 46(2), pages 239-261, May.
- Mayor, Karen & Lyons, Seán & Duffy, David & Tol, Richard S. J., 2008. "A Hedonic Analysis of the Value of Rail Transport in the Greater Dublin Area," Papers WP264, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Christian A. L. Hilber & Christopher J. Mayer, 2002.
"Why do households without children support local public schools? linking house price capitalization to school spending,"
02-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Hilber, Christian A.L. & Mayer, Christopher, 2009. "Why do households without children support local public schools? Linking house price capitalization to school spending," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 74-90, January.
- Holly, Sean & Jones, Natasha, 1997. "House prices since the 1940s: Cointegration, demography and asymmetries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 549-565, October.
- Ronan C. Lyons, 2015. "East, west, boom and bust: the spread of house prices and rents in Ireland, 2007-2012," Journal of Property Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 77-101, March.
- Gatzlaff, Dean H. & Haurin, Donald R., 1998. "Sample Selection and Biases in Local House Value Indices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 199-222, March.
- Reinhart, Karmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. ""This time is different": panorama of eight centuries of financial crises," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 77-114, March.
- Leo Grebler & David M. Blank & Louis Winnick, 1956. "Capital Formation in Residential Real Estate: Trends and Prospects," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number greb56-1.
- Kevin H. O'Rourke & Ben Polak, 1991.
"Property transactions in Ireland , 1708-1988 : an introduction,"
199212, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- O'Rouke, K. & Polak, B., 1992. "Property Transactions in Ireland , 1708-1988: An Introduction," Papers 92-18, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Linneman, Peter, 1980. "Some empirical results on the nature of the hedonic price function for the urban housing market," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 47-68, July.
- Ghebreegziabiher Debrezion & Eric Pels & Piet Rietveld, 2004.
"The Impact of Railway Stations on Residential and Commercial Property Value: a Meta Analysis,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
04-023/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Ghebreegziabiher Debrezion & Eric Pels & Piet Rietveld, 2007. "The Impact of Railway Stations on Residential and Commercial Property Value: A Meta-analysis," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 161-180, August.
- Goodman, John Jr. & Ittner, John B., 1992. "The accuracy of home owners' estimates of house value," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 339-357, December.
- Kuminoff, Nicolai V. & Parmeter, Christopher F. & Pope, Jaren C., 2010. "Which hedonic models can we trust to recover the marginal willingness to pay for environmental amenities?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 145-160, November.
- Ronan C. Lyons, 2013. "Price signals in illiquid markets:The case of residential property in Ireland, 2006-2012," Trinity Economics Papers tep0613, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Aron, Janine & Duca, John V & Muellbauer, John & Murata, Keiko & Murphy, Anthony, 2010.
"Credit, Housing Collateral and Consumption: Evidence from the UK, Japan and the US,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7876, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aron, Janine & Duca, John V. & Muellbauer, John N. & Murata, Keiko & Murphy, Anthony, 2010. "Credit, housing collateral and consumption: evidence from the UK, Japan and the US," Working Papers 1002, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Janine Aron & John Muellbauer & Anthony Murphy, 2010. "Credit, Housing Collateral and Consumption: Evidence from the UK, Japan and the US," Economics Series Working Papers 487, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Katherine A. Kiel & Jeffrey E. Zabel, 1999. "The Accuracy of Owner-Provided House Values: The 1978-1991 American Housing Survey," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 27(2), pages 263-298.
- Eichholtz, Piet & Straetmans, Stefan & Theebe, Marcel, 2012. "The Amsterdam rent index: The housing market and the economy, 1550–1850," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 269-282.
- DiPasquale, Denise & Somerville, C. Tsuriel, 1995. "Do House Price Indices Based on Transacting Units Represent the Entire Stock? Evidence from the American Housing Survey," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 195-229, September.
- Smith, V Kerry & Huang, Ju-Chin, 1995. "Can Markets Value Air Quality? A Meta-analysis of Hedonic Property Value Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(1), pages 209-227, February.
- Bagehot, Walter, 1873. "Lombard Street: A Description of the Money Market," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number bagehot1873.
- Stephen Gibbons & Stephen Machin, 2008. "Valuing school quality, better transport, and lower crime: evidence from house prices," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(1), pages 99-119, spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcd:tcduee:tep0513. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Hughes)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.