The Financial Accelerator: Evidence using a procedure of Structural Model Design
We find empirical evidence of a financial accelerator using a data based procedure of Structural Model Design. Credit to firms, asset prices and aggregate economic activity interact over the business cycle in our empirical model of a dynamic economy. Furthermore, the interdependence between credit and asset prices creates a mechanism by which the effects of shocks persist and amplify. However, while innovations to asset prices and credit do cause short-run movements in production, and while real activity spurs credit, such innovations do not precede real economy movements in the long run. Hence, there obviously is a case for Modigliani-Miller in the long run.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+47) 21 09 00 00
Fax: (+47) 21 09 49 73
Web page: http://www.ssb.no/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Beaudry & Franck Portier, 2005.
"The "News" View of Economic Fluctuations: Evidence from Aggregate Japanese Data and Sectoral U.S. Data,"
NBER Working Papers
11496, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beaudry, Paul & Portier, Franck, 2005. "The "news view" of economic fluctuations: Evidence from aggregate Japanese data and sectoral US data," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 635-652, December.
- Beaudry, Paul & Portier, Franck, 2005. "The 'News' View of Economic Fluctuations: Evidence from Aggregate Japanese Data and Sectoral US Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 5176, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Q. Farooq Akram & Gunnar Bärdsen & Øyvind Eitrheim, 2006.
"Monetary policy and asset prices: to respond or not?,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(3), pages 279-292.
- Q. Farook Akram & Gunnar Bårdsen & Øyvind Eitrheim, 2005. "Monetary policy and asset prices: To respond or not?," Working Paper 2005/9, Norges Bank.
- Gunnar Bårdsen & Q. Farooq Akram & Øyvind Eitrheim, 2005. "Monetary policy and asset prices: To respond or not?," Working Paper Series 5405, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Bardsen, G. & Klovland, J.T., 1998.
"Shaken or Stirred? Financial Deregulation and the Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Norway,"
32/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Bardsen, Gunnar & Klovland, Jan Tore, 2000. " Shaken or Stirred? Financial Deregulation and the Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Norway," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(4), pages 563-83, December.
- Roger Hammersland, 2008. "Classical identification: A viable road for data to inform structural modeling," Discussion Papers 562, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Lown, Cara & Morgan, Donald P., 2006.
"The Credit Cycle and the Business Cycle: New Findings Using the Loan Officer Opinion Survey,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(6), pages 1575-1597, September.
- Lown, Cara & Morgan, Donald P., 2004. "The Credit Cycle and the Business Cycle: New Findings Using the Loan Officer Opinion Survey," SIFR Research Report Series 27, Institute for Financial Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ssb:dispap:569. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.